NSW Hornsby, Hammondville, Pleasure Point - Suitability for PPOR

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by nothingman, 4th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. nothingman

nothingman Active Member

What does everyone think about this area? Can see some semi affordable houses there. Hornsby train station is nearby and has parking, there's a shopping center at moorebank. 45mins train to city isn't too bad

Decent area to live and have family? Or too close to Liverpool? I know there's barracks nearby but from what I've heard noise isn't an issue

2. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

You have stumbled across one of the old sleeper suburbs in your list. Few people think of Hammondville but it has the lot. Large block sizes, school, transport ( rail is a 10 min walk to Holsworthy)is close enough yet far enough away from shopping centres and the M5.
    PM me if interested in something.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@nothingman - Hornsby station is a looooong way from Liverpool. Does the proposed Eastern Creek airport affect the area?

Biz likes this.
  4. Nightowl

Nightowl Well-Known Member

Do you mean Holsworthy? A friend of mine has bought 2 consecutive PPOR's there, happy with the area, moved in with 2 teenage boys, says it family friendly. What's wrong with being close to Liverpool? Liverpool has transport connections and shopping etc

5. nothingman

nothingman Active Member

sorry yes i meant holsworthy! Nothing wrong, just going by the bad rep the area has

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Oi! What's that supposed to mean! I'm from Livo! I'll smash ya! Meet ya at The Collo at 4pm!

Brian84 likes this.
  7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Whats the Collo ?

Ssssh....

6-8 months ago you would have been right to buy a home, it has gone back to silly land again again.

The shops really are Liverpool, there is not much at Moorebank, there is a few small shops in Hammondville as well, there is a lot of aged care in the area, it was originally taken up by those from the war, quite a history to Hammondville.

8. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

Dabbler
    The original poster was after a PPR for a young family.

Hammondville is ideal. My reasons are below - I may be biased as I like the place.
    1. There is only entry to it via 2 roads both accessed from Heathcote Rd so no one passes through to go somewhere else, it is in fact an enclave.
    2. Liverpool is far enough away yet Close enough to go too for shopping. I like the fact that it it that far from Liverpool. There is also a bus from Stewart Ave to Liverpool that many of the elderly catch.
    3. Never bothered going to Moorebank. No need with the supermarket and other shops and services in (Inc Dr)Hammondville. It is actually quite self contained when you get to know it.
    4. Because it's an enclave the kids still walk to school.
    5. It is surrounded by Sports feilds, a very large bush reserve that is River fronted to Georges River, a creek and an M5 Wall. This is a good thing as no one passes through.
    6. Fairly stable population. I recognise many of the people there even though I have Long moved on.
    7. You can cut across the sports feilds to Holsworthy Railway Station in 10 min.
    8. The sports club itself is great , especially if you have kids.

You can live quite well without ever leaving Hammondville and many older people do. Which brings me to another point.
    9. The aged care facility. It takes up most of the back end of Hammondville and is great to live nearby as they have good security and it is VERY quiet.
    10. Hammondville has very little crime. Check it out with Liverpool Police.

My RE agent tells me that a factor affecting pricing in Hammondville is that young people who grew up in the Sutherland Shire but can't afford there own house there seem to be moving to Hammondville.

Hammondville ...like I originally said is one of the great sleeper suburbs.

9. dabbler

I said sssssshhhhh..... maybe you mis understood that part :)

anyway...

it is PPOR , and it was not specifically said to be for themselves, but I too assume that is what was meant.

I also said, it has all gone back to silly pricing again. 6-8 months ago would have saved probably 70k.

As for leaving Hammondville, yeah, a lot physically cannot ! lol You wont be staying in there, most people will want more variety of shops, banks etc etc...and I do not see any mass migration from the Shire, although I lived there for many years myself, anyway, take what agents say with a grain of salt, they would sell their own mothers !

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

& lease them back :p

11. FastFour

FastFour Member

I have just sold my home at Hammondville and in the process of finalising settlement. Originally from the Shire my partner and I moved there almost 4 years ago when noone was buying. We were in a 2 bedroom apartment and wanted a change which included a backyard. It took me a long time to get used to the quietness however I did and settled in quite nicely. People say "hi" and stop for a chat which you don't get in other parts. Yes there isn't much there however it is a lovely place for a family. In fact we sold to a couple who is expecting there first child literally 2 weeks post settlement. We are happy we sold to someone who will appreciate the house and not knock it over. We've had absolutely no issues with crime or threat thereof. I'm leaving the area only due to a back injury which is making it very difficult for me to travel from the area to North Sydney each day for work so am relocating closer. Apart from that I would stay. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

12. dabbler

Are the new ones from the Shire too ? Maybe there is a wave of people heading to the SW, but frankly, they probably come from everywhere.

I am curious now, if your moving from the area and going to be North, are you going back to a unit or have you found a sleeper suburb up North ?

13. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

Hi Fastfour

I can tell you have actually lived in Hammondville.
    Thanks for posting you thoughts on the place - they mirror mine exactly. People stop for a chat, people in your Street look out for eat other. You are a part of a community that gets to know each other because it an enclave.I suspect in the future it will be a sort after area but for now it's a sleeper and I hope it stays that way.
    There is some development though and there are still a few of the old blocks left (1acre plots) Mine is a 4000mtr block that I should be doing something with or moving on. Just haven't had the motivation.

14. FastFour

FastFour Member

I believe the couple are west but not entirely sure what area.

We are taking a nice profit and heading to a unit (rental) for the time being around Rhodes area for ease of travel - approx 35 minutes direct service to North Sydney. We will reinvest the money into more property once ready.

15. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I will be there to. I got your back. No one talks about 2170 like that :D:D

Biz likes this.
  16. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

My cousins live at sandy point which is the next part along heathcote road. It is a nice quiet spot and a boat ramp at the end of the st if you are into boating.

I have built a couple of houses in pleasure point and it is pretty much the same as sandy point.

17. FastFour

FastFour Member

Hi Seven,

Wow 4000sqm? I'd be holding onto that. I didn't want to sell but partner was adamant best to do now while market is still okay. He is PPOR man and feels at ease with that whilst I'm the investor and the risk taker :) Funny story; he was out doing his Saturday morning bike ride and I came out to Hammondville to take a look at the house. Needless to say I made the offer before he even looked at it because I saw the potential in the area and still think it has potential. I'm sad to be leaving but we had to come to a compromise and there was no way he was going to rent it out after all the work we've done so it is sold. It is truly a lovely place to live (gum trees and all) and this is coming from someone who likes cafes, shops etc. I personally would do it again in a flash.

18. dabbler

I have done that prior and really regretted selling, and seeing we bust a gut working on IP's it is really the same thing, over decades our outlook has changed. No more selling of home if we can help it

The thing is now, things are on the move again & looks like low interest for a while, so unless there is some other crisis, it looks like it will just roll on, I keep thinking it may have pulled back again, but other half has always thought it wont pull back.

I was looking at units closely in the area for a while, the sentiment was Liverpool and Warwick farm were sh** holes , but, they have continued to climb and wish I had of had one of my offers taken up now, I think the whole general area is priced in a way that it won't come down much, because if you go into the prices, then look at what else you can buy in Sydney, well, you won't come up with much till you get out to the mountains.

But if you guys need to be near the city, there should be some good buys on units, I have seen some that I thought were pretty good buys in near CBD, with all the units coming up, may be ops to buy something at a good price, anyway, good luck with it all.