Homes with Asbestos - Would you buy?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by schmick23, 25th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. King Doofus

King Doofus Member

Our house is made of asbestos inside and out. Doesn't worry us in the least.
    As somebody previously posted, probably nobody ever got asbestosis who wasn't exposed to it's dust over a relatively long period.
    I even drill it now and then to hammer in a nail or similar, but I dont directly breathe it in.
    I also grew up in a mostly-asbestos house, and used asbestos mats in chemistry at school.
    None of my family has ever had asbestosis over a 60 year period - sure its still possible but pretty improbable . I think people are far too worried about a miniscule risk under normal living conditions.:cool:

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

No. But it's a cheap and easy test with very minimal risk to determine if it is

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

How many people are known to have died from asbestos in their home ?

So why all the concern ?

If renovating, just take well known precautions, that is about it & you will be hard pressed not to find it & do not forget how many new places are using materials from China where they have found all sorts of things it gets reported....

4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

It depends on the extent of the asbestos. If would pay a minimal amount and calculate in the cost of removal and retrofitting assuming the asbestos was limited and house in good condition otherwise I would expect to need to demo.

5. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

Do vendors normally agree if we want to do asbestos check before we buy their property?

Is it normal if buyers put condition in the contract condition re asbestos related?

6. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

We put a clause about an asbestos inspection in our contract before purchasing our PPOR here in Canberra back in 2014, it was just around the time the ‘mr fluffy’ stuff was getting a few articles in the media but prior to the buyback. I’m not sure how you would go in a hot market or in other states. It would depend on how concerned you are and what you plan to do if the inspector finds it. We have asbestos in the eaves but it’s like new still so we are happy to leave it alone...

7. hobartchic

This thread worries me. Yes, you might get exposed to asbestos and not get sick. But we know it is incredibly dangerous. It's a known carcinogen i.e. causes cancer.

Builders I know, with qualifications and more experience than I have, require asbestos to be removed now prior to being on site.

There's no way that I could tell anyone that having a known hazard, exposing tenants knowingly, would not lead to legal action. Price removal of asbestos and modern updates into purchasing an old house. It should be calculated when making an offer.

8. hobartchic

A building and pest inspection by a certified inspector will give you a good idea. Anything built to 2003 will probably have some asbestos in. It's the post war builds to 1970s that tend to have more. Nothing stopping you from putting a clause in the contract.

9. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

hobartchic likes this.
  10. dabbler

What is the basis for your concern ? Fear and the unknown ?

Let me tell you this, if you leave it alone, it will do you no harm, if you start sawing it up and snort the fibres, your asking for trouble, but I know many people who did this for years yet died of other things not any disease from asbestos.

People like you are part of the problem, you do not understand and become alarmist and help spread fear.

Hate to break it to you, but the stuff is everywhere, you will find it in soils all over many cities, not to mention rubbish tips etc, many of which are now sporting grounds or other, in some place it is even in the soil naturally & it aint killing thousands of people, nor hundreds....but your car, electricity, alcohol and other drugs etc are.

Checking to make sure there is not loose fill in the roof is fair enough.

Asbestos in houses is the norm, not the exception, you can't ignore that, hell I bet you grew up with it all around you, why your not dead god only knows

PS your car causes cancer, are you one of those greenies that does not give up such things even though you know they are a risky health hazard.

Phar Lap, Kassy and Westie like this.
  11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Your ignorance is breathtaking ... It has killed hundreds and hundreds more are expected in the coming years when the results of people renovating their properties is apparent. Why do you think James Hardy moved their company overseas? to avoid paying out the future victims.

My 37yr old son died in 2003 because of mesothaelioma, his doctor and the court in which his case was heard agreed it was because of contact with asbestos. He earned a living renovating bathrooms.

I also personally know of other deaths from this disease, one of which was a friends wife who washed her husband's clothes and contracted the disease, another of a neighbours brother who suffered the same fate.

PS I dont want sympathy re losing my son, I just want people to be informed about this silent killer and take precautions.

Because my son was not expected to live for long a special hearing of the court was held at our home, the legal team of James Hardy left no stone unturned and did their best to squirm out of any payment, I was absolutely sickened by their tactics and their questioning of my son who spent hours being questioned. A judgement was made in my sons favour and costs awarded against James Hardy.

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2018
  12. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Yep - Brake pads. YAY!
    Those of you who are concerned about asbestos, did you realise it is in most car brakes?
    Vehicle repairers - Asbestos

14. dabbler

lol......ignorance my a**

Some may have a reading and comprehension problem.

I have been subject to the dust also, but lets be clear, I am not advocating cutting it up and breathing it in.

I made a few points.

Cars kill lots of people, so do other people using things like knives, but lets ignore those who kill by intent, I bet you drive a car ? If your car is used the right way it will not kill, same as asbestos in a dwelling if left alone. If you cant see the similarity, then maybe you should not drive.

The numbers for asbestos are small compared to many other things, and many things are most likely still unknown.

Sorry for your loss, but asbestos alone will not kill you, it will require some action and even then it is not guaranteed.

PS the example of someone cutting and sawing away literally 5 days a week most weeks, but dying of another disease at a decent age is someone close to me, I also know others who were exposed for decades to the dust, so far no known prob, not saying they cant develop, but am saying is not an auto deth sentence.

So carry on living with asbestos, leave it be and it wont harm you, no need too bulldoze or remove every bit of it, indeed it is in many places you do not realise......your cars brakes used to spew it out too.....not all that long ago either......and good luck with a lot of the cheap stuff from OS....,they still use it.....so you could be exposed there too

15. pully

pully Well-Known Member

asbestos can be found in many places as has been said. including in floor vinyl so we have had to get that tested and removed before renovating.
    currently have that issue and it seems not all will remove friable as more expensive to get a licence to in sa.
    often wonder where all this asbestos is stored once removed?

16. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It's also found in Perths new hospital :eek: john Hollands bought materials off ebay to try and save a buck ;)

17. dabbler

18. dabbler

it is every bloody where....old and new.....

19. dabbler

lets do a public sample, one I truly do not know the answer too.....no joke, so this could go either way....

last 3 decades...or no, lets say since 1980

1980 till present deaths due to asbestos ?

1980 till present deaths due to motor cars ? you will note it is not any motor vehicle in the Q ?

Should we bury dwellings or cars ?

20. dabbler

I would not at all, places with fibro are fine......and my tenants are not given a green light for demo in old or new places....
    Cmon, you want them to give up the car because of problems on more than 2 fronts ?

Deaths by accident
    Deaths due to environment and poisoning
    And now deaths due to them spraying these very fibers everywhere...at least recently, alas they prob buy OS import pads from cheapest service centre.

Where will it all end.....

And then there is the planets health, which in turn.....

but, yeah, we all still do not give up cars, or electricity, nor alcohol....etc etc

we are a species of ******* hypocrites....only caring for our own pet hates or likes, but not that many can admit as much.......