Home Theatres

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 8th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

This is my parents one

Attached Files:

euro73 likes this.
  2. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

The good old formal dining area....hey Marissa did you know any old school euros who had these in their homes. Still brand new and no one was allowed to go in there? Plenty of those in my family..Saving it for when 'special people come over'. The special people still haven't come. :D

wombat777, Perthguy and beachgurl like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Exactly... LOL
    or ugly doilies to protect the furniture, sorry Mum:p

Phantom likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Together with the 'good' crystal and the 'good' dining crockery

Perthguy, Phantom and MTR like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Mum gave me the crockery and the cutlery , amazing if you hold things long enough they come back in vogue. Shame I am not a hoarder, if only I kept my clothes from 20 years back my girls would be wearing them today:p

6. johnpendlebury

johnpendlebury Well-Known Member

Unless I had an enormous house, i would not use a room as a home theatre. If i saw a 3-4 bedroom house with a home theatre it would not add value for me, id see it as a wasted opportunity to have another bedroom or proper study etc.

wylie likes this.
  7. tavinium

tavinium Well-Known Member

I have the same thinking. If your house is for opulent living and size of the place supports. Otherwise seems a waste. You can get some nice AV equipment for the main living area and still get a similar effect. The only exception for me would be a converted garage, that can't be legally sold as a bedroom.

8. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

We bought a 5 bedroom house for the same price as a 3. We don't need 5 bedrooms so converted one to a theatre room. It's used at least a few times per week so good value for us. We've invested for so long and never had a splurge so when we got this place I suggested hubby get someone in to set the room up properly. Having the speakers mounted in the ceiling and the walls means the 3 year old can't destroy them either. We've tried speaker systems in the main living room and the kids just trashed them. They know the theatre room is dad's space and not to touch it. In the last house we sold we set up the living room as a theatre room for opens and it was the clincher for the new owner, so if we sell this we would probably keep the room as is. The average punter could see past it as another bedroom if need be

9. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

The ROI of a home theatre room is appalling, which is why I regularly go to the local cinema on cheap Tuesday for $7.50 a flick, BYOing my food and drinks (allowed) and with free parking. Go in the morning a few weeks after a film is releases and you get to enjoy the massive screen and awesome sound system in near solitude.

10. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Yep, in the process of setting one up in our PPOR :)

Converting the rumpus room (which was the kids playroom) into a home theatre with a 135" screen.
    I'm not looking at it as something that will add value - the value is in the actually built room. The intention is to actually enjoy the room for both the "home theatre" experience and for music!

11. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

For gamers a dedicated theatre room could be just the ticket. Modern games are now fully interactive masterpieces with large, wealthy followings.

There is definitely a market for this still.

12. tavinium

Good thinking. Niche market though.

13. tavinium

Funny, I recently bought a PPOR with one. Wasn't a key decision factor at all, just an extra. We are thinking of turning it into a gym room and just having the main living for tv and movies. But as the room is specially designed for movies, I guess it works well.
    It's a townhouse 10 years old on a half block. These days I imagine it would be a 4th bedroom or additional living space, instead of the home theater.

14. THX

THX Well-Known Member

And once oculus rift and others come out, along with omni treadmills etc we'll be the fittest people around :D

15. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

+1, $7.50 sure buys a lots of movies at the equivalent cost of setting up a home theatre. In addition:
    - Get to see latest releases without having to wait 6+ months for it to come out on DVD/Blueray
    - No mater how much you spent on your home theatre it still won't match the screen and audio of a real theatre
    - I don't have a wasted room in the house which is basically only used once or twice a week tops.
    - I don't have to spend $30+ to buy overpriced Blueray's
    - I don't have obsolete AV gear that I have to spend $1000's every 5-10 years replacing.

No, sorry, I see them as a total waste of space and money.

16. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Can't goto the movies in your undies :p

17. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

I have a home theatre. My TH was built in 2009 and have a projector - Panasonic AE4000E with a 90 inch screen. It is awesome - better than a plasma and required no maitenance at all apart from globe change which they last 2000 plus hours. When I built the house I had this roomed designed for cinema - darker colours on the wall etc and its awesome. The neighbours have stopped complaining about the noise. The way TV has changed since 2009 (I have been through so many) - I still have the same projector and love it. Sound system is cool too.

Cheers Ivan

18. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    I also have a dedicated Home Theatre. 135 inch screen, JVC projector and 7.2 Yamaha/Paradigm combo.

All controllable via various apps or a Harmony Hub, as the AVR, Apple TV, PS3 etc are all networked.

To be honest, I don't use it as much as I had anticipated as I also have an OLED /5.1 set up in my living room , but the room is spare otherwise... Ultan Home Theatre Build 2011 013.JPG Ultan Home Theatre Build 2011 018.JPG

19. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    That's a nice set up

20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

You obviously don't hang out in bogan suburbs like to do! :p

I went to an auction in Rivervale a couple of years ago with a property theatre room...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mind you, they wanted a million bucks for the house. It was massive though:

16 Mozart Mews, Rivervale WA 6103 - House for Sale - 2010372009

MTR likes this.