Home Insurance Premium

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by david_fintech, 23rd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. david_fintech

david_fintech Well-Known Member

Does the insurance premium increase based on past claims of the property or based on past claims of the property owners?

If the previous owner made lots of claims against the property, do I end up paying higher premium?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How would your insurer know how many claims the previous owner made (unless you are using the same insurance company)?

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Because when you take out a new insurance policy you are usually asked about past claims.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Correct. This isnt a question just for no claim bonuses. It assessed as a element of claim risk. It relates to the claims experience of the proposed insured parties not a former owner.
    NRMA like others are vague and say Your premium is based on the likelihood of a claim being made under your policy for an incident that occurs during the policy period

They have a detailed guide which is also vague since the mathematics is performed by actuaries. We collect information in relation to these pricing factors from you and other sources and we use our data, models, and experience to assess how important each pricing factor is for your policy. At any time we may change the relative importance of any of the pricing factors or how they combine to affect your premium, and we may add to or remove pricing factors from the calculation as we see fit.

https://www.nrma.com.au/sites/nrma/files/nrma/documents/nrma_home_ped_nsw_qld_act_tas_1021.pdf

No claim bonuses also ratchet down in mnay cases as well as premiums rising
    If you have achieved Claim Free Privilege Plus status, you are awarded with free No Claim Bonus Protection. This means you will retain you Claim Free Privilege Plus status and 25% No Claim Bonus when you make one claim from inception of your policy (for a new policy) or the date of your last renewal notice*. However, if you make two claims you will move down to our 20% No Claim Bonus and will continue to move down a level for each additional claim.

5. wylie

But you are asked about previous claims that you've made, not the vendor (or am I missing something)?

Edit: I just re-read the initial post and the OP is asking about two things... past claims for the particular property you are buying, and past claims for you as owner for other properties you hold.

They do know about your past claims, but there would be no questions about past claims for damage to the property you are buying (unless they happen to have been the insurer).

6. Marg4000

As far as I know, you have to declare past claims you have made.

You would have no way of knowing the claims history of the vendor, and doubt that you would be asked.

7. david_fintech

Does that mean the likelihood of claims depends solely on the new owner? This doesn't make sense to me. I thought it should depend on the property itself.

8. Marg4000

So how would you know the claims history of a property you are buying?

Clearly the flood risk is easily discovered.

wylie likes this.
  9. david_fintech

I wouldn't know but insurer should. It should base on the area and past claims for neighbouring properties.

Claims are out of control of the owner, aren't they? I don't understand why my past claims with other properties have anything to do with the new one.

10. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Past performance does not guarantee future results but it can be a fairly good indicator.
    If you have had 3 x vehicle incidents and then you change cars would you expect the clock to be set back to zero?

11. david_fintech

Looking at the top reasons for home insurance claims, most are beyond the control of the owner and more correlated to the weather, environment...

Car claim is different as we are on the driver's seat.

AAMI's top home insurance claims in Australia - Are you covered?

StormWater LeakageHail DamageAccidental DamageWindstormTheftOtherMotor Burn OutGlassFire

12. wylie

I think I was having a "senior moment". I interpreted the question about the "past claims of the owners", to mean they'd want to know what insurance claims had been made on that particular house (that you are about to buy).

I agree that insurers do want to know any claims in the past five years for the purchasers looking to take out insurance on the house they are about to buy.

Crikey... it took me three readings to understand the meaning. You are right @Marg4000. :)

Marg4000 likes this.
  13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Insurer may already know of past claims if they were the insurer plus reinsurers also have extensive data on what they rate as high risk eg contour maps, flood maps, fire risks etc and so they price the risks. Owner risk is a further issue with past refused claims, numbers and value of claims and more all factoring in. And the usual proviso applies that if you dont tell them something they can later refuse a claim. Cushioned or protected no claims bonuses can shelter some issues even for a new dwelling. But not all of it.

I know in my post code we have a higher risk rating for hail and storms and cars garaged outside have a higher risk than those garaged inside. Houses also have a high risk for hail. Three major events in three years. Two were car claim one was roof damage

david_fintech likes this.
  14. Slone15

Slone15 Member

Claims question relates to all Policyholders, the duty to disclose claims in last 5 years is a standard question used to rate the level of risk you present as a Policyholder.

If the property has suffered severe loss or total loss, Insurers' are aware.
    Insurers' use various rating indicators based on the total Policyholders they Insurer within a designated postcode. Many contributing factors when it comes to premium rating.

david_fintech likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia