Home based business / income supplement.

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Hodge, 15th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JZ93

JZ93 Well-Known Member

I'm also looking for another source of income. Just started looking into vending machines actually.

Seems as though you can pay your way in with machines sold in site locations or buy run down machines and refurbish them.

Possibly having an offset account against a buisness loan would help initial cashflow.

Be interesting on anyone elses insight on the vending machine field

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

What about atm's?

3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I reckon you're thinking too small, I know you don't intend to go big but it's almost impossible to aim to only pull 10k from a business. Maybe possible if your only supplying labour but once you start involving stock and overheads even if they are small you need to be aiming for larger cashflow to pull anything reliably.

Hodge likes this.
  4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Good point and this also crossed my mind today. Just need to work out what to sell and where to source stock.

5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you need a shop front for this?

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Better to concentrate on labour than stock if you are targeting those figures.

Just thought of something, can your wife write? Businesses with an online presence are always looking for content for their websites and will pay anything up to a few hundred dollars for good articles.

JacM likes this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

My understanding is this "online" stuff is phasing out writing and really pushing for more typing :p

No you can plonk them in the corner somewhere like a pub, servo, shop etc

I've never got around to looking it up

Or even the mobile ones now for markets! That's the go, how many times has the mrs bled you dry and you can never find an atm amongst all the stalls of crap! ... and get a few eskys and sell some beers too :D

8. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Look after pets for the day, or over night. From kittens to rabbits, dogs and frogs. Great money for overnight stay. Have friends that use this service. You can target groups/professionals that need this service. You can even charge extra to pick up/drop off, additional grooming etc. You could take pics having fun with the owners pets during a walk or something and send em an sms, gold.

Gockie likes this.
  9. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Too bad my wife isn't a pet lover :D

10. Concept

Concept Member

I run multiple online businesses from home.

Unfortunately, there is a myth out there that starting and running an online business is an easy way to make money. It is no more easy that running your standard 'bricks and mortor store' except your bricks and mortar is html and php. The main benefit is you are not limited by location, and you can easily automate.

If you want an excellent guide to starting an online business I suggest you check out: Digital Strategy Crash Course

It will give you a clear idea of what is needed to run a successful online business and what can be done. You have some of the best of the best online marketers on that forum. It is a brilliant resource.

Also if you and your wife are completely new to online marketing check out Moz's guide: Moz: SEO Software, Tools and Resources for Better Marketing (click learn & connect)

Another great book to read and forum to get involved in is: The Fastlane Forum

aussieB, Hodge and The Y-man like this.