Hobbies

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by trinity168, 31st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My hobbies are cycling, computer games and tv. I don't just watch tv though. I really like the more unusual shows and love documentaries. I watch heaps of them. Oh yeah, and in the last couple of month, pilates. I have found that really good.

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Like single malt scotch whiskey or more like Dack Jangles?

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You're an arrow minded person?

chylld likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I used to brew beer once. But that's probably not what you meant.

5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Hiking. 9 weeks out of the next 7 months will be walking holidays.

6. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

Where do you get the original torsos? I wanted to try mosaics before, but never got around to it. And while we are at it, where do you get your mosaic pieces from, i am now interested.

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun, where are you headed?

8. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

My biggest hobby is modern board gaming. I don't have much time so I only play about once a month.
    Some notable titles I enjoy are:
    Carcassonne - A quick tile placing game which you can play with 2 to 5 people. Can be very cut-throat especially in a two player game. You are basically trying to accumulate as much points as possible by building a city, while trying to take points away from your opponent/s in the process.
    Ticket to Ride franchise (especially Europe) - Object of the game is to build rail roads on a map while competing against other players. You do so by collecting different types of cards. The fun again is trying to block and prevent others from building the routes they need while you are trying to build your own.
    Paperback: - A word building game like scrabble, except it is card based, and you try to build up your deck of letters by doing better and better combos, while also trying to get points. Very clever game.
    Pictomania - A type of light drawing game where everyone is drawing and guessing at the same time. Lots of laughs.
    Other notable mentions include:
    Settlers of Catan
    Pandemic
    Survive: Escape from Atlantis
    Colt Express
    and many more. I tend to lean towards the lighter type of games mostly due to time or lack of friends who would play the longer games, but the modern board game scene has lots of much longer and heavier games for those who swing that way.

9. wombat777

Great Ocean Walk in November.
    Nepal (Annapurnas) in December / January ( i.e. middle of winter ). Then thawing out in Singapore.
    Patagonia and then Inca Trail in March / April.

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds delightful.

Cheese and rice, the middle of Winter?

11. wombat777

There is less moisture in the air and hence generally less cloud cover. Creates better conditions for viewing the mountain vistas.

The peak season for trekking is September through to approximately the end of November. The trails are very busy and I think it's largely because people are afraid of the cold.

I did the Everest Circuit in winter 2012/13 and it was a fabulous trip. Hence the choice to go back and do the Annapurna Circuit at the same time of year. Daytime walking temperatures were typically around 10 degrees at the higher altitudes. We did get gusts down to around -35 wind chill when we were up at the highest point on Kalla Patthar ( 5545m above sea level ). We reached the top just on sunrise after setting out about 4am.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

DSC04967.JPG
    I get the torsos from ebay, junk shops etc. I started using just glass, but as I did more, I've used some glass beads (flat backed), broken china, small tiles, costume jewellery. The ruby red one is window glass, but much of the glass is headlight glass.

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Apart from property, there is really not much..... maybe lecturing?

The Y-man

14. skuzy

skuzy Well-Known Member

hm.. too many hobbies and not enough investing lol

main ones would be running and smoking alot of meats / fish / cheese. i also am picking up my chess game again (was really into this at one stage).

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah right. Have you and @radson been to similar places?
    Have you ever been to K2?

16. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Carcassonne is addictive! Wife loves it. My friend runs a board game shop (advent games) and he has a room filled from floor to ceiling with the latest games... evidently he is also quite the tetris master :)

Sashatheman likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

WP_20150902_003.jpg
    I adore the one you made for me ... although it hasn't found it's "right spot" in the new house ... it needs somewhere where the sun finds it

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've only heard of this once before, and I thought it was a made up game.

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

My hobbies all seem to end up as businesses ... perhaps I could put down gardening - but then two acres of such is not so much a hobby - perhaps reading - but don't get a chance to do that much ... perhaps lunching with friends - yeah that'll do it - lunching with friends

EN710 likes this.
  20. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Like Lizzie, quite a few of my hobbies in the past have turned into businesses such as jewellery making and photography which has taken the fun out of it a bit.

These days my main hobbies would be reading, cooking, biking, hiking, fishing and soon to add 4WD'ing again to the list. I am also getting the photography itch again after a few years which is probably the most expensive of the lot.... :eek:

Azazel likes this.