Hilarious tenant complaints

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ellejay, 7th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Nightmare. I expect our tenant will come out from the tribunal better than us. She's getting shown the door though at the end of her tenancy, not til Jan next year though unfortunately. Late Christmas present for us and the pm.

2. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Exit mould is around $5 , they could try using that .

VeronicaR likes this.
  3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Mum and dad are on a rural property and their neighbour has complained to their landlord that there are rabbits and wildlife coming into their yard! (They rent 5 acres of land).

Their landlord forwarded an application for gun ownership.​

qak, Peter Galbavy, Observer and 11 others like this.
  4. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Hahahah love the gun application Chilliblue!!

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've told this story before on Somersoft, but still think it is funny. Friend's parents lived next door to their IP, managed by an agent, so tenants never knew their landlord lived next door.

They used to watch from their windows, when it was inspection day, whilst their tenants packed up the two dogs that they didn't have, into a car and took them away for the day, with their bowls and toys. Then when the inspection was done, back they would come, thinking they'd gotten away with it one more time, never knowing the landlords are watching the whole thing :D.

Nattl3s, luckyone, rookie101 and 16 others like this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ha! Sure, here's a packet of seeds, go for it.

Luke T likes this.
  7. kitdoctor

kitdoctor Well-Known Member

Had a tenant vacant just recently. Wouldn't change the blown light bulb in the stairwell, claiming too unsafe as a ladder (1.8 m) was needed. Upon inspection it was clear to us the curtains covering the window in the same stairwell had been washed. These needed a ladder to be taken down. By moving the ladder say 6 inches it would have been possible to change the bulb. Same tenant was happy to climb all over the roof of the same double story house installing fairly lights at Xmas. Probably the source of those broken tiles we found.

Paterson00 likes this.
  8. Cara

Cara Member

I manage one of our i.p.'s and got a request a couple of months back.

"Can you come and sharpen the knives as they are not sharp anymore"

It seems the tenants aren't either :confused:

9. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

My folks were travelling and got a call from the agent, the light globe in the oven had blown and being it was only available from Germany would take six weeks to get there.

No biggie right? Wrong, the old geezer that was renting it tried to hit my parents up for a multi cooker (electric cooking dish thing) so he could have a roast every day for dinner or he wanted reimbursing to go to the local club for a roast every night. The oven still worked perfectly fine but he couldn't turn the light on to see it cooking was the justification.

Needless to say my folks declined the request.

luckyone likes this.
  10. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Oven lights for German made ovens can be bought from Bunnings for a fraction of the cost. The cheapie from Bunnings has been installed in my oven for months with no problems, I wasn't going to pay $75 for a replacement from Bosch.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  11. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I dunno what brand it was, they were travelling the outback in a motor home and just wanted it sorted over the phone in the 5 mins of mobile service they had as they went through a town :).

Paterson00 likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Maybe the should turn the gas off when putting their head in the oven.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  13. 380

380 Well-Known Member

how about this one

"We found a ghost wondering around"

in other word, fed government cut single mum allowance and cant afford a rent, so want to break a lease without paying the cost.

Hetty, Luke T and Dan Donoghue like this.
  14. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

The young tenants complained that a light was crackling.
    Did you change the light and see if the crackling stopped?
    No.
    Suggest you do.
    I might get electrocuted.
    Um, turn off the light switch and the main circuit breaker.
    Please send an electrician.
    Okay, but if it's just a suss light it will cost you the sparkie's time, say $100 or more.
    Agreed.

The sparkie attended and the light was nearly dead, maybe four minutes to fix, cost the tenants about $100. Mind you there may have been merit in the sparkie attending. Another tenant ripped a light fitting from the ceiling and wanted me to pay for it. Sorry, not going to happen.

charlie01 likes this.
  15. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

I had a request for security cameras to be bolted onto the outside of a townhouse. The property manager even thought it was a legitimate request!

My response was "hahahahahahaha, oh,........you're being serious?! No that's not going to happen"

miked likes this.
  16. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

Interesting thread.

I've seen both sides of the coin - when managing a property once I had a request from a brand new tenant to buy him new curtains and a new stove. I gave a flat out 'no, the property is as-is as you saw it last month at inspection'. Needless to say that was only the beginning of a stream of spurious and facile complaints over the term of the lease at the end of which he expressed shock and surprise that it wasn't going to be renewed.

On the other hand I also worked at an emergency housing service and boy, there are some incredibly unscrupulous landlords out there who view their tenants as nothing more than a money source.

One of the most heartbreaking things I saw was a lady (good on-time tenant, current lease) who returned from the shops to find her locks had been changed. When she rang the agent - a large, well-known Melbourne agency - she was told that the landlord had decided to put the house on the market with vacant possession and that she would be allowed back in to collect her things at a time that would be convenient to the agent. I didn't believe her story until I rang the agent myself - absolutely despicable. The worst thing was that the agency cooperated with the totally illegal repossession of the house, brushing it off with 'oh well, it's easier than going to VCAT to get her out and what more does she want - we've refunded her rent and bond'.

Last edited: 18th Aug, 2015
    Peter Galbavy and luckyone like this.
  17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

What the?! Take this landlord and agency to court!

luckyone and Esh like this.
  18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@Ben Chifley - that is disgraceful! I have seen PMs carry on like that in Perth too. Our (renting) neighbours had their electrical main panel fry at Friday lunchtime in the middle of summer. They called the PM immediately and were told they would have to wait until Monday to have the panel fixed. IMO, leaving tenants without power for a whole weekend is not on at all. The wife, holding her baby, came over to our place in tears, explaining what had happened. We told her to call Consumer Protection. They called the REA and told them to have power on by 5 pm or the REA would get a fine and the owner would get a fine. Less than an hour later the owner turned up to get the power back on. Get this: he is a licensed electrician in WA. Disgraceful! Anyway, that agency ended up selling their entire rent roll and they closed down. Unsurprising really.

Yeah, so a tenant asking to have power over a weekend turns out to be a reasonable request! :)

19. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the only remedy for the tenant in that situation was either in civil court (usually out of the price range of the average tenant) or to try and get an 'emergency' VCAT hearing. To the tenant's credit she ended up turning the situation around with the threat of bad publicity for the agency/landlord's totally illegal actions. In the end she got a new rental in addition to a few grand compensation for agreeing to keep her mouth shut.

But imagine how upsetting it would be to come home and find yourself completely locked out for no reason other than the landlord couldn't be bothered going through the formal process of giving you notice... what a piece of work.

Last edited: 19th Aug, 2015
    luckyone, EN710 and Gockie like this.
  20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What's wrong with getting genni for the whole weekend (@ the LL expense). Some real sad LLs there.

luckyone likes this.