Hilarious tenant complaints

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ellejay, 7th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

We had a tenant move in recently. And one of their complaints were...the floor tiles in the kitcen are cracked. They were told the tiles were the same as when they inspected the property before signing a lease!

ellejay likes this.
  2. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Why dont you fix them, ?

3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

My troublesome tenant sent me a photo of a vehicle parked outside the exit gates and said he could not longer carry on his business because he could not get deliveries because the gates were blocked - only problem was he took the photo from behind his own vehicle which clearly he was able to park on the common area via the entry gates. No reply when I asked how he was able to get his own vehicle on to the property. [He was looking to break his lease]

ellejay and See Change like this.
  4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Lu
    Luckily for me my wife handles all of the day to day management , so I don't hear about things :cool:

Cliff

5. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

You've got it right Cliff. You invest and someone else puts up with the Whingers so you get the filtered reports.

Gladys and luckyone like this.
  6. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Why would I ? It doesn't add to the rent. The kitchen is modern and usable. It's not like the stove doesn't work

T.C. likes this.
  7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I once had a tenant complain that the light wasn't working after he'd tried to change the lightbulb.

He'd put a bayonet bulb into a screw socket.

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree with Ms. Ali.
    This is from another thread about expenses:
    I have a tenant who was asking all sorts of things I think to annoy me and just cause me more expense and to waste my time.

I think it was because i'm the evil wealthy landlord perhaps? Or he had a feeling of the world owes me something. This was an older guy who went through divorce... man he was a pain in the backside...

yorkie likes this.
  9. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I had a PM wanted me to replace a good carpet because it was stained. It was dog p*ss by tenants 2 dogs she wasn't allowed to keep. I said no and put the rent up $30 she baulked so I put it up $20 to be reviewed in 6 months, I put it up another 20. The PM said that's too much she got her marching orders along with the tenant who had rented a house of that PM for 30 years . I rented it out for $60 more.

10. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Meanwhile at a previous rental I had to take the agent to the cttt to get our bond back when we broke our lease after they didn't notify us the property was for sale and they were going to have an open house.

First I knew about it was coming back at 10.30 in the morning to find 30 people inside the unit.

luckyone and ellejay like this.
  11. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I had a tenant who's kid would lift the central heating vent covers out of the floorboards.

He cut himself on the sheet metal under the floor vents.
    Tenant asked for them to be fixed..

I came round with the drill and screwed them to the floor and told them 6 vents @ 12 each is coming out of the bond when he leaves
    ;)

ellejay likes this.
  12. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

I hate tenants that get tradies out for no reason.
    I hope you charged her for the cost

13. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I had to pay for a plumber being called out because the tenant 'thought' they could smell gas:mad:

14. VeronicaR

VeronicaR Well-Known Member

Our property has a dishwasher and a new flatpack kitchen. The sink does not have a sloped drainage area, and the tenants have been leaving their dishes to drain on the bench without putting a teatowel underneath or anything. Their complaint is that the bench has a few bits of mould, starting to grow, and that they prefer to handwash "to save water".

Get this... the dishwasher is water efficient, and probably uses less water than handwashing. Furthermore, we pay the bloody water bill including usage!

Peter Galbavy and luckyone like this.
  15. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

But the tenant pays for the ridiculous amount of power that a d/w uses to heat water and dry the dishes.

luckyone likes this.
  16. VeronicaR

VeronicaR Well-Known Member

hmm fair point, although they definitely argued for the "saving water" thing.

I am very kind and offered to buy them an over sink draining rack.

17. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

We had a tenant contact us - one of the globes under the patio had blown. No problems with this - it's a raised patio (need a ladder to reach it) and the globe itself is a special type, so my hubby went over, bought the globe and replaced it.

Two weeks later they complained that two (normal) globes inside the property had blown, but they had bought replacements for them.... and wanted us to reimburse them. They even sent us a pic of the two blown globes and the receipt for their replacements.

luckyone and ellejay like this.
  18. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Not a complaint but some people I showed through an IP ,that I self manage, had some ideas before they wanted to move in.

Place was a mess 40 year old transportable.

They "wanted"

New kitchen
    Flooring
    Bathroom
    Decking

And also insisted they would help me fix it up

If I did all of this they would then rent it off me.

Needless to say I didn't pick them haha

luckyone likes this.
  19. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Long story short

Had a couple for around a year and a half good tenants payed on time etc. Then all of a sudden they stoped paying rent. On further enquiries my pm found out that the bf had gone to jail for stealing from his workplace and she couldnt keep up with payments.

We then couldnt contact her, and was never at the house to see what was going on. During the tribunal process while trying to regain possession and with no contact from her in over 3 weeks she shows up at my pms office out of the blue.

Her request....

To change her last name on the lease as she had just married her bf in jail. Like WTF! Wheres your priorities woman.

Any way that episode cost me over 5k. Still getting around $5 a week for about half of that amount which the tribunal awarded me.

It was the flea infestation that nearly broke me. Walked through the front door to the back door and noticed all our legs were black, absolutley covered in fleas. My legs were red for weeks.

20. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member