NSW High Volatage Lines- Padstow surrounds

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by LouiseJ, 3rd Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LouiseJ

LouiseJ Well-Known Member

Hi I'm house hunting for PPOR and keep finding on google maps that a lot of the houses I like are close to big power lines/towers. I'm assuming that's because I love anything with lots of trees/bushland and those spots are probably only non developed because of the power lines. In particular I'd been scouting for things near Salt Pan Creek reserve in Padstow.

I'm not really concerned about the health aspects and am aware that they have much less resale value, which would be ok if I could buy at an equivalent discount. I'm reading 10-15% seems to be the expected reduction if they're noticeable.

Problem is I'm reading on here that they might not be suitable for mortgage properties (I'm borrowing up to 90% but exempt from LMI- work perk). Which leads me to a couple of questions.

Firstly I'm assuming preapproval which isn't linked to a specific property isn't enough to go and bid at an auction? (It must be an issue if there is something the bank doesn't like, eg power lines, and you've already committed?)

Secondly is there some sort of AusGrid map showing where power lines are and which ones are considered high voltage? I've been googling for a while without success.

2. LouiseJ

Oh and is it just the towers people/lenders worry about? Or the power lines too. Having sourced some more aerial photos its clear the house I was looking at is basically right next to this massive tower, off putting even for me. The next tower is a fair distance away so they're not as frequent as I thought.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The lines.

The Y-man

LouiseJ likes this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Dial before you dig website you can get the maps for free for selected areas

LouiseJ likes this.
  5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Toon, bob shovel and LouiseJ like this.
  6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

To see where the towers are, just look for the bends - wires can't bend without the towers :)

7. LouiseJ

This site is neat! Shows the walkways much better than google maps. Also cool you can look up land size of any property quickly and easily. Thanks for sharing.