Hi members of PC!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BictoriaVitter, 3rd Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BictoriaVitter

BictoriaVitter New Member

Hi all, just stumbled across this site, looks like a great resource!

I'll try keep it short n sweet. There's a bunch of layers to this.

I have 500k due to inheritance and astute saving. I live in inner-north Melbourne in a sharehouse atm (800ish a month). I'm in my mid 20s.

I have a steady job in the public sector (110k/yr), partner (not yet working full time) and have always enjoyed nature and the idea of a cabin in the woods. Due to COVID I can see WFH being a longer term (3-6 months) thing. Work's also good with WFH flexibility (3 days in office, 2 at home).

I want to buy in regional Vic, something like in the Yarra Ranges as a short-term home (for owner-occ) and a longer term as a weekender/Airbnb/rental property. The houses I am looking at are 3 bedders in the 450-550k range, so could afford it almost outright. My parents are also nearly at retirement.

I also know for my career I will get some flexibility to live regionally, but I will need a Melbourne place too, we could probably afford a 2 bedroom unit in the inner north on top of the regional property. I also recognise that I could potentially buy something typically out of my reach ($1-1.2m, 3-4 bedroom Melbourne house) if I wait a bit longer, live in it, rent the other rooms out and borrow more.

So a few questions, and I note none of this is financial advice, I need to make my own choices.

Should I go buy the regional property? If so, should I take an 80% loan and put excess $ into it, with redraw/offset facilities? So that I can go buy something in Melbourne later? I'd rent the property out in that case (1500/month repayments, 1200-1400/month estimated rent)

And if so, is redraw better here since I can put so much into the principle?

Or should I hang tight, do the occasional Airbnb, and buy something in Melbourne, noting that I am paying rent here anyway - and may get a great opportunity/may watch it plummet?

I feel like I will enjoy the country more, noting that my partner will continue to live in Melbourne and I can visit and stay if need be. For me Melbourne's a place of work, occasionally going out and seeing mates really. And my mates are keener to get out of Melbourne in general, let alone during COVID.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Welcome to the zoo

As to redraw...........keeping your excess cash in a 100 % offset account rather than redraw will allow much better flex for the future

ta
    rolf

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Just be aware woods = bushfire potential.

Why not look at somewhere like Warrandyte, Ringwood Nth, Belgrave or FTG and still stay in commute of CBD?

The Y-man

4. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member