Hi from Melbourne!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dante678, 27th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dante678

dante678 New Member

Hello! I'm a 34 year old from Doncaster East. I'm living in my first property, a two bedroom apartment. I am interested in either renting a new PPOR and leasing existing property, or purchasing a new PPOR and leasing existing property. I don't know whether it is safe to buy in a hot market like Melbourne's...

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi @dante678

Welcome to PC.

It depends on your goals - I take it PPOR is an upgrade? Do you need to immediately upgrade? Do you intend to build a real estate investment portfolio?

PPOR is a personal and emotional decision. Melbourne has been going on a while. No one has a crystal ball - but from what I understand, it will continue being attractive to immigrants - who may be priced out of Sydney, and Melbourne is the place for them to own a PPOR.

3. Jake Milne

Jake Milne Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need advice from your financial planner and accountant more than PC!

That said Melbourne is hot but if you buy now/ soon you should still experience some growth (in most areas) before the expected downswing or flatter market. Don't take that as gospel though I can't tell the future. :)

Don't think about timing the market with your PPOR, think about time in the market with it.

4. dante678

dante678 New Member

Thanks for your welcomes. Yes, ideally a new PPOR would be an upgrade in terms of travel time and garden. it's not necessary immediately to upgrade. However I am worried about being priced out of a house.

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hi @dante678 , welcome aboard.
    I wouldn't be buying in Melbourne at this point, but I'm not familiar with the market down there.

6. 733

733 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum!

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Being in Sydney, I would consider Melbourne but has to fit my criteria. Stress test your serviceability in view of IR rises.