Heritage listed property for living

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by ccsben, 14th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ccsben

ccsben Member

Hi, I've been looking for a family home in Hobart and thinking to make an offer on a heritage listed property.

The current owner has been living in the house for decades. He's already done extensive restoration and renovation through the house especially for the bathroom and kitchen. Its location, size, structure and condition all suit our family pretty well. It appears we are not going to be overpaying for what the property is worth, taking into account it has been on the market for quite a while comparing to other similar properties.

However, I have heard from friends on the expensive maintenance and complicated work/development process associated with the heritage building. I have also obtained the works guidelines from heritage Tasmania and will engage their adviser in the onsite inspection.

I'd love to know your thoughts on buying heritage listed houses, your experience and opinions on pros and cons, especially on how difficult, inconvenient and costly it is for a family with small kids to live in such a home.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Gockie bought a gorgeous sandstone house several years back - I don't think that she has looked back.

ccsben likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Oh yeah, I love our house :)

Can't say it's been any issue for anything, just a joy.

If we wanted to put solar panels on, we'd need to get it okayed by council.
    And the windows don't really lend themselves to flyscreen. And I think water/creatures like to find their way through holes.

But I am so happy to have bought this home, always happy to be home!

ccsben and Scott No Mates like this.