Helping Family during the downturn?

Discussion in 'Philanthropy' started by hammer, 12th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

What is everyone doing to look after their families during this downturn?

Siblings with businesses, cousins in the casual workforce, parents needing to access their super?

I realise a lot of people on here are quite savvy...but most " everyday" people are not.

Anyone got any battleplans in place?

Islay likes this.
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Loading up on toilet paper

MTR, datto, hammer and 1 other person like this.
  3. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

We are retired and live off our investments. One of our offspring who is a player in the finance world rang this afternoon to tell us the market was now down 23% and check if we were ok. It was lovely of her but we probably should share more with our kids :)

Terry_w and hammer like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I kid you not - we went to pick up TP for my mum the other day (she doesn't drive)

The Y-man

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I suppose helping neighbours and the like with choirs etc

This could include things like helping out with car servicing eg changing plugs, oil and filters. There's $100 in labour saved there. Washing the car is another thing.

Then there's rubbish removal, lawn mowing, some painting and tidying the yard up.

It's funny how a crisis can bring people together to help one another like they once did years ago. Not this hustle and bustle of modern corporation style, work your butt off for some over paid ceo who pretends to care but really couldn't give a toss.

Heck, I'm going to open a lemonade stand at the front of my place and charge 3 cents a glass (rounded to 5 cents but will accept 15 cents for 4 glasses).

6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Theyll be singing your praises.

datto likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yes. And I suppose a lot will do the same for others. Sure, there will be some who will take advantage but they'll have to live with their conscience.

Jack : "OK datto, you've serviced my 3 cars, washed the dishes that piled up over the last 2 weeks, I just need you to remove my putrid socks, wash them and then massage my feet.... and go easy with your finger nails"

datto : "I hope you can live with your conscience and gawd your socks smell like that cheese pasta you cooked up, I wondered how you got it to taste so tangy".

8. The Y-man

Grass behind the counter of course.....

The Y-man

datto likes this.
  9. The Y-man

Just general advice on stocking up etc to the parents.

I'm the one in casual workforce so theoretical most susceptible - but busy as ever given the current situation ironically....

The Y-man

datto likes this.
  10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The Good Book tells us to care for widows and orphans. There are a couple of widows in our immediate family so it will be business as usual here. Mr Angel has been super caring recently - I allowed him to buy a new chainsaw last month and he changed the blades on my mower. We had a ball at his sister's place recently cutting up a fallen tree and burning it. We now have unlimited offers to camp over at his various relative's country properties as long as we bring the new chainsaw.

sillydad likes this.