Help with Window Choice

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Damo93, 1st May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What window option do you prefer?

1. Tilt and Turn

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Sliding

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am looking to replace the front windows in my house mainly to reduce noise and for insulation purposes.
    I have looked at roller shutters and double glazed windows and prefer the latter.
    I am stuck on the design of the windows, tossing between tilt and turn vs sliding.
    I am looking at replacing all the windows in the house eventually.

Has anyone replaced windows before? What do you think is good value for money but also provides the best noise reduction and insulation?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Double glazed.

The Y-man

Damo93 likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I have a double glazed uPVC tilt and turn window and two tilt and slide doors. They have argon and also ‘comfort’ glass to conserve energy.

Its not just the style (e.g. sliding, awning) but the material (e.g. wood, upvc, aluminium) that influences effectiveness.

Warning: Aluminum glazed windows need to be thermally broken to perform properly.

Also, the specs are different depending on whether sound or warmth are most important factors for you. Sound insulation uses different gaps and glass thicknesses for best sound reduction.

Sliding windows will not stop drafts as effectively as tilt and turn (unless they are the uPvc tilt and slide type which have a strong ‘positive’ seal).

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

5. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

Arco Double Glazing is a company I am looking at that do Tilt and Turn double glazed uPVC window with a laminated glass and a Low E glass.

Noise reduction is the main goal for these four windows I intend to replace while the rest of the house will be more for thermal insulation.

WA Custom Glass is another I have considered but they do Aluminium frames only and have a range of glass options in either Awning or Sliding.

I am of the opinion so far:
    They will definitely be double glazed.
    I am leaning more towards tilt and turn (uPVC frame). We currently have sliding windows with aluminium frame.

Unsure on best glass and gap to maximise noise reduction and consider good thermal insulation. Different companies have conflicting opinions and online reviews haven’t been too helpful.

6. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

I had a look at these options, my understanding from what I have been shown and told is using laminated in conjunction with double glazing is more efficient and good value for money. I didnt realise how many different combinations there were for this kind of thing..

7. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

uPVC is the best type of double glazing by far for heat and sound insulation. Timber is second, but has high maintenance. Aluminium is the worst option. Whatever you go for - make sure the air gap between the panes is around 10 - 12mm. Any less and it's not really double glazing and won't perform as such, it's just 2 panes of glass shoehorned into a frame meant for one. The ideal is 4-12-4 (4mm glass, 12 mm gap, 4mm glass).

Damo93 likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I used 6.38mm lami as the cost of a double glazed timber window was not viable. Knocks out the majority of noise transmission for road noise. Side/rear windows were in lighter glass as there was no need for sound dampening in these areas.

Stoffo and Damo93 like this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Thermally broken aluminium is fine (has to be no metal to metal connection through the frame though.

‘Thermally improved’ is the budget version but it is not the same thing!

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

These are pretty good :D

The Y-man

[​IMG]

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

We did this :D
    After taking out several walls and turning 4 rooms and entry into open plan it was great UNTIL WINTER :eek:
    Then, the old single pane thin glass up 2 levels with a toddler running around o_O
    Looked at double glazed, the cost to remove and replace existing frames and reveals $120k :confused:
    So shopped for the laminate (with tint in the laminate), had quotes from window companies around $15k :)
    Found a glazier the week the decision had to be made, being flexible with his work load, done for $8k :cool::D:p
    Sure it isn't double glazing, but its much better than before ;)

PS, beware of the eco glass, its often a coating on the internal side of the glass, if you pick up a bit of grit in your cleaning cloth it can scratch and you can't fix it (at least you can change window tinting when it gets damaged)
    Before & After pic of door below (prior to overhead glass being changed)

Attached Files:

Westminster and Damo93 like this.
  12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

If the budget can stretch to meet it also consider replacing your external doors with double glazed ones. And also think about thermal curtains as well.

Damo93 likes this.
  13. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I have tinted glass on all the windows/doors in my home, have thermal curtains on the sliding doors as its the only way to stop the wind whistling through the cracks even though I have installed wind draft tape. Windows no problem as they seal quite well.

Damo93 likes this.
  14. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided on the uPVC Double Glazed Tilt and Turn Windows with laminated glass.

Price came to 7.2k incl GST for just under 10sqm

Attached Files:

Stoffo likes this.
  15. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Wise choice ... :)

Damo93 likes this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Consider if you need an opening restrictor to stop it opening more than [80 or 90] degrees if there is a chance it could fling open into the room and hit something (e.g. adjacent wall) on a windy day.

I have a tilt and turn window - but no way to hold it 3/4 open so it theoretically could hit the reveal - didn’t even think of this when ordering.

It hasn’t actually been an issue because I have put a rubber door stopper just between it and the reveal it so it can”t open more than 90 degrees.

But worth thinking about If this would be a problem for you (I’m not even sure if you can actually get a 80 or 90 degree restrictor).

Stoffo and Damo93 like this.
  17. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

Good point!
    There is a restrictor for the “tilt” opening but I don’t believe there is one for the “turn” opening. I guess manufacturers assume they are only opened that way for cleaning. Will enquire about this.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

When I asked, the supplier said I needed to get it as part of the order as they add it when they are building the window.

Just be careful it isn’t a permanent 150mm restrictor - that would be annoying!

I do like my tilt and turn windows/doors though.

Damo93 likes this.
  19. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

Appreciate the insight.
    They do look great.
    The noise reduction is amazing and I’m sure the thermal benefits will be just as good. They had a stereo blazing surrounded by standard double glazing glass with the tilt and turn option. It was muffled noise at best.

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi @Stoffo,
    Does that mean you paid $23k or $8k? And do you think it’s been effective for heat/cold insulation?
    I might ask for details of your glazier. :)