Help with Dodgy Tradie/contractor - Sydney

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ASXGJ1, 15th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I can't remember if you've called Dept of Fair Trading yet or not but if not, just give them a call and see what they say. Be honest.
    Call the bin company again and ask them what it will take to remove the bin. Don't pay.
    Send the builder a formal email using the templates provided by Dept Fair Trading and as suggested already, tell him that although you would rather not, you may have to report him to Dept of Fair Trading. Tell him how much it will cost him to remove the bin.
    When all this is done, sit back and relax - your work is done. Although annoying to you, it's much more the problem of the other 3 parties. Maybe the bin people don't want to put a regular customer off-side. Maybe your dodgy builder has even bigger problems and forgot about it. Ask them to remove before Christmas if possible. If not, you might have to wait until end of January - which I'm sure you can do.

Last edited: 18th Dec, 2021
    ASXGJ1 likes this.
  2. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

trace passing, illegal dumping, illegal occupying space... etc etc... !

see the rubbish inside the bin belongs to builder who has to dispose it. now builder order the bin company and now up to rubbish company to take the bin in full as they can't put it back on my property as again the matter of payment is the issue that bin company needs to resolve with builder not with me. see my analogy about TV purchase above.

3. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

i will call bin company next week and see what happens.

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

They have guidelines, they can raid a warehouse and confiscate $100,000 of unsafe toys, but fail to acknowledge text messages between you and a company registered phone as an agreement.
    Agree, they are no use to many in simiar situations

5. ThaRealJaySnell

ThaRealJaySnell Well-Known Member

So your whole argument is that it has nothing to do with you because you dont own the land and you were not a part of the contract. If you have nothing to do with it and you dont own the land its sitting on its none of your business what happens to the bin and you should stop complaining and let them worry about it.

You cant sit here and complain that the bin needs to be removed because its out the front of your land and then accept no responsibility for the the way you went about engaging a builder, you have said you have learnt your lesson but by your acting i dont think you have.

You either claim no responsibility and mind your business like you are arguing when you say your not paying for the bin because it has like you said nothing to do with you.

Or you learn your lesson and you pay for the bin and understand next time that you probably should have researched better or understand there is a reason why the builder was much cheaper and willing to avoid a paper trail.

With an example that you used, If you buy a tv for cash with no receipt (Contract) and the tv breaks or isnt working, you dont get a refund nor can you take it back, you understand thats the risk of doing it in such a way. You pay to fix it or you throw it away. You cant use a reputable brand nor a reputable store that provides a receipt as your example because you didnt go that way in your situation.

Your trying to apply laws that apply to the proper process of engaging a builder which it didnt do.

Its almost deciding you dont need to buy insurance for your car and then call RACV when you have written your car off saying ill take that insurance now or ill make a claim. You understood the risks and if you didnt you should have when engaging someone without a contract. Both result in you assuming the risk and moving on.

6. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

Let me go through one by one. Yes it is my business because it is sitting in front my property and creating nuisance and people can't use the council area to walk through. if it was there for a week when i did the work then it is ok but has been sitting there for a month.

I am sharing my experience here and not complaining yes lot of frustration but not a complain as the forum purpose is to share experience and obviously learn from others. i don't take responsibility to remove the bin as i have not ordered it but certainly i take responsibility of engaging builder based on verbal contract which has legal stands if proven in the court.

Paying for something you shouldn't doesn't mean one has learnt a lesson. I learnt a lesson that next time I will deal with situation differently but that doesn't mean i have to pay for it.

how did you judge it was cheap? it was reasonable but not the cheapest and importantly available to work before Christmas.

my example was about commercial contract while your is more about repair and maintenance. and yes in my case i can't go back and ask guy to come and repair something for sure and i am not having any go at that issue.. at all.

not really. law clearly required Bin company to manage their payment through their customer and that is not me and that is why Bin company should deal with builder not me.

WattleIdo and Joynz like this.
  7. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

As you are admin, I thought to ask. Is there a place where the website save lesson learnt or things to look for to do building refurbishment works?

No, I don't need to followup with Bin company anymore. Advise from one of my friend who went through similar situation was to let council manage it and they will (even though they say they won't over the phone) after I write an email to them. I will do it later on as I am not worried about bin anymore when it goes I will message here on how thing's turn out for me.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  8. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

Just to give final update to all those who participated in discussion. Skip Bin removed this morning by skip company without me paying for it.

I am not sure what happened but number of my neighbours have complained to council over last few days and I am assuming council would have come to rescue or builder has change of heart (not sure what has resulted into this outcome).

We were not at home when the bin was removed so couldn't talk to anyone but it came as surprise and big relief.

wylie, The Y-man and LGVP like this.