Help re understanding non-standard sewage connection (Bris)

Discussion in 'Development' started by Newatthis, 18th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Newatthis

Newatthis Member

Hi,

We have an unconditional contract on a property in Brisbane. The block has two lots and one title so our intention is to demolish the existing house, split the title and build on one lot. I've spoken to the Council and their are no issues with demolition etc that need to be considered - in fact they told me that I would just need to speak to the titles office.

So our stumbling block appears with getting sewage connection to the one of the lots. The main sewer line runs through the back of all of the properties behind. I've spoken to QUU and they have told me it will be a non standard sewage connection.

We aren't in this to make money, we really just want to live in this particular area so any assistance that can be provided would be great.

If anyone can provide advice on whether this is likely to be able to happen and potential costs / things to be aware of that would be great. Is this a showstopper (it kind of feels like it right now!). Does anyone recommend any of QUU's list?

And yes, I should have realised this before I bought the property but we fought off developers to get it and we knew that if we had any issues that we could look to reno the existing house and sell it on. This is by far not our preferred option.

Thanks for any help / advice

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Is the block already split on the title with 2 street numbers already ?, that alone can be over 70k if you have to split them,i hope this is one of those rare blocks that was split in the 1950's -1960's otherwise it's a very high cost....
    If it's already split then the costs is very low

3. Newatthis

Newatthis Member

Yep. It has two street numbers just one huge house across both lots at the moment. The lot is split down the middle so each side has a 10m frontage (405m2 blocks). It has one title across both lots so that will need to be split.

BCC's planner has confirmed that it is two separate lots under the one title so they consider it a split and not a subdivide.

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I still have a few of the old yellow paper titles in the safe ,split straight down the middle and the house sit's in the centre of the block on 2 street numbers and over 20 mts frontage very rare if it's in the 5klms range from the CBD,well done..
    With the Plumbing side,would be best just to get several quotes and work off those quotes..
    BTW welcome to the site as there is a lot smarter people within this site who will help you then me..

5. Newatthis

Newatthis Member

Thanks for the welcome.

It is all starting to seem like an impossible scenario - the main sewer runs through the backyard of the row of houses on the street directly behind this property. It doesn't appear that there is any easement over the sewer line so I am guessing that this means we will have to get their permission to dig up their yard....

seems unlikely!

6. MattMc

MattMc Member

Hi Newatthis,

Happy to help. If you'd like to PM me your address we can take a look at this for you and provide some thoughts.

Cheers
    Matt

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I would be engaging a good town planner to investigate your options and come up with a plan. You need to have a pro ( flesh and bones, not a forum) on your side gunning for you .

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You require a new boundary connection for the additional block, the water & drainage authority have the ability to enter into a property to maintain their assets (there is no requirement for a Board sewer to have a formal easement).

Your other option is to connect to your existing line at the back of your block and create an easement there.