Help me with PPOR Reno!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jmillar, 8th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

This one is great, but can you get one where the terminal block is hidden? Something like this would be good. Any suggestions on where to buy lights?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also, choosing colours for the cabinets was difficult today! I really don't like the full gloss finish. I like either satin or semi gloss (the Mrs likes semi gloss most).

Our walls are Dulux whisper white - should we try and match our cabinets to this?

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2020
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You want to try and work to your stone not your walls. I always use standard Laminex or Polytec colours.
    Did you not find something that went with your stone?

I'm sure there is a lighting shop in Sydney that has a light which is less obtrustive up the top but I'm afraid I'm no use there.

3. Jmillar

They all look pretty similar to me, so it's hard to tell! The stone sample I have is honed, but I'm actually getting gloss so not sure if that makes a difference to colours. Plus as you know, the stone can differ so much so maybe I'll just have a stab in the dark at a colour and hope that it works! I'll go to Bunnings today to see larger samples.

I spent a couple hours last night looking at about 10 lighting websites and found 1 or 2 that could work for me :)

Westminster likes this.
  4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Usually Laminex or polytec have what you'll want. Unless you're overly pedantic :p

6. Jmillar

Our walls are Dulux Whisper White so we'll go with Dulux Natural white for the kitchen (it's a bit more white than whisper, but not too many shades different to look silly, and has a similar undertone).

We also found a great light which is exactly what we wanted - they custom make them and it's only $345 which is a bargain. The guy suggested 2.5m long as he said you should only have 200mm either side, but I think we'll go 2m (450mm either side) as we feel 2.5m is too big, especially given there is a gyprock wall on one side of it. Just need to check what our downlights are (3000K I think?) so we can make sure this light matches.

Westminster likes this.
  7. Westminster

Why do you get to use Dulux colours? Is this a two pac kitchen? It would normally be more cost effective to go with Laminex or Polytec coloured laminate boards.

8. Jmillar

Two pac poly coated

9. Westminster

I haven’t seen a two pac kitchen in Perth for a long time. Even high end kitchens are tending not to use it after they got a reputation for chipping.
    Not sure if it’s just a Perth thing.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Many high end development in Brisbane don't use two Pac due to chipping too. With the amazingly clean joins many cabinet makers are doing these days I think two Pac is somewhat getting forgotten about.

11. Jmillar

Kitchen and floors gone!

New kitchen goes in Wed 12th and bench tops Thurs 20th, then flooring Fri 21st... can't wait!

I think I'll be going with these stools for the breakfast bar - Temple & Webster Phoenix Vintage-Style Barstools & Reviews

And we'll eventually get these dining chairs to match:
    Temple & Webster Phoenix Vintage-Style Dining Chairs & Reviews

Quick question re paint. The walls have just been painted Whisper White, and the ceiling in the kitchen is Chalk USA quarter (original colour from 2009). Kitchen cabinets will be Dulux Natural White. But I'll need to patch and repaint where the wall is coming out and potentially a couple other spots, so I figure I should probably just paint the whole ceiling in the kitchen. Should I repaint it Chalk USA quarter, or match it to the walls, or the kitchen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Looks good. I'd keep the ceiling crisp white. Looks good in the photos already. Maybe keep it that crisp white so there is a difference between walls and ceiling?

13. Jmillar

I'll probably just paint the walls and ceiling in the kitchen (under the bulk head). What do you mean by 'crisp white'?

14. wylie

I mean a really white white rather than any shading added, no hint of colour or warmth. I like to see a crisp line where ceiling meets wall, a crisp, clean white ceiling but it comes down to whether you want warm or cool white etc.

15. Jmillar

Okay so floors are in and kitchen is finally done! Just need to get holes patched and painted :) The kitchen and dining/living is so much more open, lighter and looks bigger - couldn't be happier with how it has all turned out.

Next items on the list are:
    - plantation shutters for window and sheer curtains for sliding doors (ceiling mounted dropping to the floor)
    - new dining table (probably a timber table with black legs like this, maybe with raw edges and chairs to match the stools like this)
    - outdoor table and chairs, or lounge - not decided yet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Doing a reno at the moment myself...mind if I ask how much the kitchen and kitchen install cost, as well as the flooring (am assuming Engineered timber)?

17. wylie

That looks so good. What a huge improvement. I like the timber table you linked to but wouldn't go that size. I'm guessing you'd go slightly larger than you have now, maybe fit three chairs each side?

18. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Looks really good, well done.

That air con stands out a bit though with everything fresh and crisp around it...

19. Jmillar

$21k for kitchen (this included some extra plumbing work to install a bayonet point and plumb my fridge in, and included new linen cupboard doors and shelves. So say $20k without this). Appliances were about $4,200 (I found all the best prices online then AppliancesOnline matched/beat them all and were great to deal with.

The flooring was $130/sqm installed but then they also charge for carpet removal, skirting boards, tile removal etc etc. If you're in Sydney I can recommend some great contractors to use for kitchen and flooring

Lacrim likes this.
  20. Jmillar

Yeah I want to go 3 chairs either side, and no chairs on the end. Current table is 1500x900mm. A 2000x1000 or even 2200x1000 would look fine in the space.

My dilemma at the moment is whether to go wooden legs or black legs. Initially I thought timber legs would be too much timber, and having black legs would break it up. But look at the below pics... even with the black legs it looks a bit funny and I think you'd need a rug either way. So I'm now thinking the wooden legs and a rug underneath.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]