Help me pick a dog

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by tomlemke, 9th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Lovely dog.

2. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Its a merle blue border collie, the previous owner took her at 8 weeks and couldn't look after and dropped her back at the breeders house at 16 weeks.
    Just got lucky we were in the right place at the right time : )

She has been a dream so far, she is toilet trained , sits , really relaxed didn't even cry the first night.

MTR, Xenia and Westminster like this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

OMG ... It's so cute ... and your backyard isn't that tiny. He will need a lot of exercise (being working dog) - and you need to watch him in summer with their hot coat. Is he allowed inside in the cool? ;)

One thing to be careful of - we had a husky years ago - they are real Houdini's when it came to scaling 6ft fences to get out. We ended up having to put extra wire across the top of the fence to keep him in - but he was a purebred. They are great escape artists and like to just take off, so be careful he doesn't climb on your spa and leap the fence.

Last edited: 19th Dec, 2015
  4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Small, yappy, annoying ankle biters won't scare off an intruder if they think no-one is home...

They are a good "alarm" though, and will alert you to the presence of an intruder...or half the bloody neighborhood at the slightest movement - as these dogs tend to do. :rolleyes:

If you really want to scare off a would-be intruder, you need a big dog, with a very deep and large bark...

German Shepherds and Rottweilers are the obvious choice...get two.

We had German Shepherds as I was growing up - fantastic dog - have a bit of an unfounded fear from the Public - but it's all in the training.

Most of yer dog attacks on kids and so on we hear of; owners who haven't trained their dogs correctly or had them trained correctly, mostly.

5. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Tom, your new dog is adorable. Congratulations. He is so beautiful.

Our German Shepherd is too smart to eat his own vomit. But he LOVES kitty candy (cat poo) and even possum poo. Our little Japanese spitz will eat anything, that includes his own vomit, no matter how digested it is, and other dogs' poos. He has eaten things that would make a strong stomach turn, and he doesn't think or chew before he eats and swallows. But we love them and they are part of the family.

tomlemke likes this.
  6. tomlemke

We are about 50m from wickham beach, so we took her for her first swim today she loved it! i put around $200 worth of mesh around the whole yard to stop her from escaping.

We leave the stacker doors open and she will wonder in for 2 minutes then walk back out doesn't really like being inside : )

Lizzie and BigKahuna like this.
  7. tomlemke

thanks bigkahuna put a pic of the spitz up, i love those dogs

BigKahuna likes this.
  8. BigKahuna

Here's our little spitz. He doesn't look like this at the moment, as he's just been to the hairdresser and been shaved for summer.

Attached Files:

WattleIdo, MTR and tomlemke like this.
  9. BigKahuna

Here's our other boy, the German Shepherd. He has an XXL large bed but, as you can see, it's not big enough. He's a gentle giant.

Attached Files:

WattleIdo and tomlemke like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

omg I am in love with 2 dogs now, I mean 4:)

BigKahuna likes this.