Help me pick a dog

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by tomlemke, 9th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I have 2 x huskies... look fearsome but would let the burglar in, show them around and help them load the truck

hobo, Phantom and Lizzie like this.
  2. Wall Street

Wall Street Well-Known Member

But then they'll shed all over the crooks, so you can track the down via the trail of hair :p

hobo and Phantom like this.
  3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I wish my cats would stay home when I walk the dogs!

4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

So you want a dog that you're going to stick in a tiny backyard by itself, won't let it inside, and only really want it right now because you need a burglar alarm.

The perfect dog for you is no dog at all.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

To be fair, they've had dogs before and they knew they wanted a dog in the future. If they chose to have it outside when they aren't home then that is their choice.

My weimeraner is now 3 and very chillaxed but not so much as a puppy! As a puppy (they take at least 2yrs to stop being a puppy!) she needed lots of walks, lots of training to stimulate a very smart brain and lots of reticulation to destroy.

Now she just needs one walk a day, someone to talk to (so nightshift owner is perfect) and has the scariest bark ever but gentle as a lamb. She snoozes in her kennel when no one is home and enjoys going to construction sites with me during the day.

hobo, EN710, Stu and 1 other person like this.
  6. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the cancer - we lost our fur baby to cancer early this year. Love your outlook on including the dog in everything you do - they really do make a family complete :)

wylie and Propagate like this.
  7. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Exactly.
    Wei's would be the last dog OP needs. They require to be with you, a companion. "Velcro dog" is one of their nick names..

OP a dog is not a possession, it is to be another member of your family you should spoil rotten. If you cannot provide this then it is being selfish..

This is a recent pic of our 2.
    Male 3 years
    Female 8 months

- as you can see we don't have kids yet lol and these are our fur children..
    image.jpg image.jpg

hobo, Stu, WattleIdo and 2 others like this.
  8. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

They're great @Greyghost your boy is similar looking to our Dane, only in a size M instead of XL :)

And the puppy! She's gorgeous.

Greyghost likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I wish I could take cats for walkies!
    I've tried before, it was more like taking them for a drag.

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I could help you to pick a dog. I won't volunteer though to pick its nose.

11. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Hey mate.
    They say once you have a Wei you can never get another breed again. I believe it to be true.
    But if was not afflicted with that curse I would def get a Great Dane...
    Funny story, over the Xmas holidays we went camping to apollo bay (great ocean rd) with the dogs, in town we met a couple with a 10 year old Dane named "olive". Funny part was they had driven all the way from Sydney with her on the back seat of their Volkswagen golf haha!

Propagate likes this.
  12. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

13. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Leaving a dog outside whilst you're out is fair enough, but your original post reads as thought you want an "outside dog", like one of those poor buggers you see that's always left outside, alone, whilst it's family are inside excluding it.

Greyghost and WestOz like this.
  14. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

15. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I don't use a leash. It's only the females and they started (couldn't be stopped) early in life - still knee hiigh to a grass hopper. We just live around the corner from an oval so can go out late late @ night. So we just walk around the oval a few times.
    Once I was taking the dogs for a walk into town in the day and had to cross the Newell Hwy with trucks roaring down - about 1 every 20 seconds. Made sure the dogs were sitting to wait for the traffic. Big dog sitting, little dog sitting, little black kitten right there too. :eek: Took her home and locked her up and mostly have to go for a walk in the car now if I want to escape those cats.
    Not sure how it would work in the city. Hope they don't want to keep itup if and when we move. :confused:
    It's a kitten thing, I think.

16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Labradors are very good watch dogs even though they're so friendly and gentle. Their bark is much worse than their bite.
    @tomlemke and partner, you probably have a lot of potential and just need some training. To be honest, it doesn't sound as if your parents-in-law have done a very good job of training their dog. I get real cranky when the poodle thinks it's too cold to go out for toilet time.
    May I suggest some puppy/dog school for you and your wife when you decide to get a dog? Glad you're thinking of the pound. Mixed breeds are great too.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hehe, that's pretty funny.
    We see plenty of cats out in the street when going for walks, but most run away.

18. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

yeah i think the way i worded it must of come off really badly, the dog will be like a little fur baby and not just something that will be forgotten about outside.
    yeah we would love a Labrador, not rushing anything just waiting for something that's going to suit us. Yeah puppy school is a must, our whole family went when we were kids it was great fun.

Lizzie and WattleIdo like this.
  19. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Just ask @Stu how long his 'no dogs on the couch' rule lasted when he got a puppy. To be fair he does have a dog that would melt your heart and is probably impossible to say no to.

20. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I dont allow my dogs on furniture or in bedrooms. The other week I was watching a movie in my cinema room and at the end when the lights came on, discovered one of the dogs had climbed onto the lounge in the front row. She was removed very quickly and hasnt tried again since