Entertainment & Music Help - learning to play guitar

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by robbie_p, 16th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

In promulgating your esoteric cogitation's or articulating your superficial sentimentalities and amicable philosophical and psychological observations, beware of platitudinous panderosities.

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

...and here I thought you talked "Bogan".....instead of "Pounce"......

3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Me too

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Not me. Too many syllables. Lyrics to a song with a great guitarist. Even has a 5 neck guitar would you believe.

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

you da ma main bogan....bogan mumma has been taken by someone else on the forum

6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Bogan mumma? Any hints?

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nice try..to get the great unwashed upon moi...besides knowing your rep...you would be cracking onto them...and it will get messy...as they are married......;)

datto likes this.
  8. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Firstly, get new strings. You should be able to work out how to install them but if you have a friend who can help you it might make things easier.

Secondly, buy a beginners book teaching you chords and simple fingerpicking. Learn and try to master all the simple chords E, A, D, G, C, Em, Am, Bm, Dm. You'd be surprised at how many songs you can play with those.

Third, learn a few of your favourite songs off the internet. Search for "Let it be guitar tab" for example.

Once you've achieved this you will have a much better idea of what to do next. Good luck.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  9. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Any progress updates @robbie_p ?
    Ima bout to go down this path now that I have plenty of time on my hands.

10. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

11. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Start with this...

And then this...

And then this...

When you can do these things, you'll be famous and rich and they'll put you on the cover of magazines :)

12. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

my wife starting learning a few months ago. There's an app that she finds super helpful. I think this is the one -
    www.yousician.com/‎

There was a free trial period.

Cheers

Jamie

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hubby decided he wanted to learn guitar once he stopped working. He started with a free course through Yousician, liked it & bought a subscription, and also went to some free classes run through the local U3A. He soon wanted more & started getting private lessons as well.

He's now dropped Yousician and the free classes, as the teacher is ill & has stopped them, and he's now onto his third tutor.

Two years on, I've had to put a cap on the number of guitars he's allowed to purchase, or else they'd be EVERYWHERE, and he goes to some local open mic nights to play. He's very good, but it helps that he's a singer with a great voice.

SatayKing likes this.
  14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I enjoyed watching this

The Y-man

15. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

@skater, very cruel. Denying hubby such simple and bloody expensive plessures!

With hindsight, I consider it's a case of deciding what type of guitar you want to play: steel-string or nylon acoustic or electric. Then buying the best guitar yiu can afford. No point in getting a guitar which you find is unplayable as for dure you will give the hobby away after a short space of time. And you do not need an amplifier to play electric. I still pick one of my electrics up and play without plugging it in. It's certainly audible to me.

Resources for learning abound. I started with books which had chord shapes plus tabs but have become interested in music notation along with some theory. That and getting together with like minded souls most of whom are very accomodating to those who are at various stages of development. Sadly, you do come across ponses who have a tendancy to sneer at choice of guitar or mistakes in technique. I ignore them and some others do as well.

Just keep practicing for a minimum of five minutes every day if you can. And practice is structured not random strumming or picking. I struggle always but it's heaps of fun - especially when the gibson is plugged into the blues junior and everything is turned up to max. At 7 am on Christmas morning when the neighbourhood is still sleeping off their hangover.

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

LOL! don't worry, he's not deprived. He started out with a Maton & has only progressed to more & more expensive ones. He has 5 at the moment, with one for sale so he can get another one.

17. SatayKing

So he's interested in another guitar hey?

Won't mention the brand although you have but this may be a small tempter. Only a handful made. Five figures though :(

[​IMG]

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Well, I won't be showing him this post. :eek:

19. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Ouch, my fingertips hurt.
    Thought I’d be able to practice for hours a day but I’m in pain after 5 mins.
    After a few weeks I noticed my fingertips are hardening up quite a bit but still hurts pressing the strings hard.
    Getting the fingers into certain positions for chords is a challenge and seemed impossible at first, but it’s getting slightly easier.
    This will be an epic challenge to master.

20. SatayKing

Oh yeah. Same pain will happen if you stop playing and take it up again. I've no teaching ability at all but I'll throw in a couple of random thoughts.

Are you sure you're not pressing too hard? You only need to press the strings enough to get a clean sound from my limited experience. Took me a bit of work to understand that - and apply it.

Don't know what type of guitar you have but maybe consider lighter strings? Some like 9's on an electric guitar or, if acoustic steel-string, 10's or 11's. Entirely up to you of course. Arguments for and against.

Hope you continue to enjoy the journey, It's a great pastime. Keeps me out of the pub too so that's a real plus. Then, you become an awesome musician when you're off your face - until you sober up.