Help! Floor Plan Suggestions

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Itsame, 31st May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Itsame

Itsame Member

Hi, we are looking to add to a 4th bedroom and a 2nd bathroom (en-suite) to our house. We have around 6-7 metres across the back that we can extend into and are unable to extend into front terrace.

We are not creative people at all so would like opinions on a floor plan that ‘flows’ nicely with minimal impact on existing setup (costs).

upload_2021-5-31_13-34-27.jpeg

Being able to see from entrance through to yard is a preference but not essential. Sorry about imperial measures.

Thanks in advance!

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is the flooring concrete or timber on stumps?

Archaon likes this.
  3. Squeakywheel

Squeakywheel Well-Known Member

What is in the Dining/lounge corner on the area marked terrace? I'm not sure how big it is, would you be able to fit a bedroom and ensuite there? Make the wall come out to the light line so it would match bedroom 1.

4. Itsame

Itsame Member

It’s on concrete stumps (and has moved so needs restumping or similar)

That’s a large verandah. Could be a possibility I’m just not sure if the foundations would be able to hold a structure on top there and it would close off any street view from kitchen/lounge area.

5. Westminster

Do you have any desire to have interaction from the house to the rear garden or do you spent most time on the front terrace + garden from the house?

6. Itsame

Itsame Member

Yes we would love the house to have that interaction with the rear garden and flow out seemlessly!

7. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

which way is north?

Any photos of the terrace?

What's the measurement to the roof on the outer side of the terrace?

8. Westminster

Can you elaborate on this sentence and explain more what you mean? which yard?

9. Itsame

Itsame Member

Around 5m. The backyard is pretty big so feel as though that would be a better way to extend.

The photo given is just the structure. The block is on over 600 square metres but the house is fairly small on a sloping block. There is a backyard that is about 15m long from the rear of the house

10. Westminster

This is my idea

1. Convert front lounge to bedroom 2
    2. Convert bed 2 into an ensuite and a main bathroom (access from hallway next to bed 3)
    3. Run a hallway through part of the old bath to a new bed 4 at rear
    4. Move kitchen to the dining area
    5. Move dining area to the old kitchen area
    6. Move laundry to the remaining part of the old lounge room or you could make this a nice scullery or walk in pantry. If you do then then I'd put the laundry where I have depicted the powder room and
    7, open up the old laundry, bath and WC area to create the new open plan living area it would have no walls I have just used the pink box to depict the area
    8. Add a back verandah/alfresco off the new living area to give good interaction with the rear garden from the living area

Although this option involves moving some high ticket items (kitchen and bathrooms) it does only need a small extension to have a 4 x 2

itsame_1.jpeg

craigc, Itsame and Archaon like this.
  11. Itsame

Itsame Member

Some great suggestions in there, thanks Westminster!

Thinking about the house now, it feels like the living room wouldn’t be big enough with that setup but hard to visualise with all those current walls in place. We have considered having a second living area also but may not need to with the flow to the yard.

Another thing we might consider is making the bathroom larger (at expense of master which is quite large already) and incorporating the toilet. Additionally the powder room could possibly be added to the laundry.

So many options but we don’t mind moving kitchen/bathroom as they need to be knocked down anyway.

Do you have a ballpark range of what this would cost?

12. Westminster

I wasn't able to read any of the measurements so I was just eyeballing stuff. It's easy to increase things though.

I would have no idea how much this would cost because a lot of it depends on the current roof to tie into, amount of work to move plumbing etc if you end up needing a rewire etc etc. But I would say at least $100k

itsame_1.jpeg