QLD Help! Brisbane area for $350k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Missholidays, 29th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Missholidays

Missholidays New Member

hello!
    I’m looking for my first investment (I have bought my own place in Sydney) around Brisbane for $350k.
    Early days but I met with a property broker who advised a new Griffin townhouse, similar in Brown Plains, or a new one bed apartment in Nundah.

While the areas seen okay, I’m unsure about any of these as the strata worries for a new apartment put me off, and there seem to be a lot of new townhouses around those areas and the ones for sale now a few years old are way less than $350k plus there are lots to rent.

He said I should only buy new, obv for tax benefits.

- What are your thoughts, and are there any buyers agents you can recommend who would work with my small budget?

Thanks!

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Ditch that broker/BA. He's terrible, clueless and unethical.

David_SYD, Soy, TMNT and 9 others like this.
  3. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Run a mile! All those suggestions are terrible and most likely the property broker is getting a huge kickback from the developer.

Lot's of great options in Brisbane at the moment for 350k. I'd be looking for a free standing house so you own your own land, no pesky strata fees, special levies or body corp issues which eat into yield anyway. Look for something you can buy under market value then add value via a simple renovation.

Any of these bought brand new you will be paying a premium and there is virtually no way you can add value or improve value in the future - Griffin townhouse, similar in Brown Plains, or a new one bed apartment in Nundah.

Last edited: 29th Sep, 2019
    gman65 and Shazi like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above except:

Strata isn't as bad as what @My House QLD wants to make out. Paying most levies equates to paying for the building insurance, maintenance and some external management fees, you're not free to decide if you want insurance or maintain your investment - a nonsensical argument as you're investing and want to maintain or improve your asset value.

Strata property gives you an opportunity to buy where you could otherwise not afford eg beachside suburbs or higher demand areas.

Codie likes this.
  5. Rich2011

Fair comment. I've revised my comment to include special levies, which lets face it can be huge.

Speaking from experience anything to do with repairs and maintenance on strata property can often be much more expensive than organising your own trades on a free standing house. Not to mention the hassle of dealing with other committee members to get works approved.

Nothing against strata, it just needs to be the right property in the right location.

Last edited: 29th Sep, 2019
  6. Missholidays

Missholidays New Member

Thanks! Would I be able to chat about your services pls?

David_SYD likes this.
  7. Empire

Empire Well-Known Member

What are people's opinion on forest lake? They would be within ops budget.

8. RaoulDuke66

RaoulDuke66 Well-Known Member

Huge drugs problems and all the crime that goes with it. It's a mistake for the OP to identify the only suburbs one can buy a house in for less than 350k and then try to convince himself that they're good suburbs. If it was me I'd wait until I could up the budget to 500k and then pick up a fixer-upper in a much nicer suburb within 10kms of the city, or I'd see if I could pick up a 3 bed existing townhouse 350k in one of those nicer suburbs.

George Smiley and Empire like this.
  9. Empire

Empire Well-Known Member

That's a pity, it actually looks like a beautiful suburb driving through it.

10. TTT888

TTT888 Member

I bought my IP in Strathpine under 350K. A new university will be opened at Petrie in 2020.
    if you start looking at Lawnton,Petrie and Strathpine.. that might be a good start. Note:Termite is a problem in Brisbane.

11. RaoulDuke66

I just want to point out for the OP that Strathpine isn't in Brisbane CC area - it's Moreton Bay region.

David_SYD and TTT888 like this.
  12. Mr_Gray

Mr_Gray Member

Do you have any good suggestions in this price range for a house?

13. Rich2011

Woodridge, Kingston, Logan Central, Slacks Creek, Crestmead, Marsden, Browns Plains and many more..

14. RaoulDuke66

What would you say about the type of landlord who would be happy renting to people in the primary demographics in those areas?

15. Rich2011

If they buy the right property at the right price I'd say they are smart investors!

16. RaoulDuke66

That's not the issue. Surely some investors would be happier than others dealing with Logan tenants.

17. Rich2011

Speaking from experience all my properties in those area's have attracted good tenants with only a few minor issues. The key is a good property manager and a well maintained appealing property.

Buy a run down property and pick the wrong property manager and you could be in for some fun :eek:

wilso8948 likes this.
  18. Rich2011

This photo was taken last Saturday. It's a property I bought and had renovated for a client. People queued out the door just to inspect it at the open home! Don't believe everything you read about Logan, properties are selling quickly and there are no shortage of tenants.

Attached Files:

David_SYD, craigc and wilso8948 like this.
  19. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Buyers or tenants?

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My Goodness, what a load of prejudiced and bigotted rubbish.

The primary demographics in those areas are really nice people just like me.

Last edited: 22nd Jan, 2020
    VKeen2Learn, Rich2011 and wilso8948 like this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.