Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Vasa, 31st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vasa

Vasa Member

Hi All
    Just joined the forum as I've recently had my financial ah-hah moment and realised that I needed a plan to provide for me and my wife in our retirement as well as leaving an asset base for our kids to continue growing. I'm an accountant by trade and have spent the last 15 years being a Financial Controller for medium to large businesses. Currently unemployed but looking to put my property investing plan in place so I can execute on it once I get my new job. Looking forward to being an active member of this forum.

2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Welcome Vasa. Good to have you on board and nice to see you're going to take action for your family. I'm sure they'll be grateful and proud. :)

Do you own your own home at the moment?

And what was the ah-hah moment?

3. Vasa

Vasa Member

Hi Steven
    My ah-hah moment was that I was thinking too much like the old generation in that owning my own home was enough for retirement rather than actually sitting down and working the numbers and putting together a strategy that gets me to my goal. This from a finance guy who does exactly that for large corporations. I have a PPOR residence that is not completely mine (mortgage) but my equity in it is over 750k. I'm looking to refinance to interest only and then use my equity to go on a buying spree. I'm still looking for work so would probably need to wait till I get one to start that plan but wanted to do all the research on suburbs and regional towns now.

Where are you based in Sydney? I do need to sit down with a broker and obviously want someone who understands property like a fellow investor.

4. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Well done for actually sitting out and working out the numbers. It's a self-induced wake-up call many people never have...or they start thinking about it a year or two before they plan on retiring.

The number of people who work in roles relating to finance/investment/money management but don't translate that into their personal lives is very high. Look at how many financial planners and accountants, for example, still need to be working.

I'm based in the inner west but float around. I have clients all over the place thanks to the wonders of Skype :)