QLD Hellensvale or Robina in the GC

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by jank, 4th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jank

jank Member

Apologies if this is a duplicate post.
    I am looking at my first investment property with the potential in 3-5 years to turn it into a PPOR.
    So, looking at places in the Gold Coast with good transport links to Brisbane, as I can easily get work there and commute a few days a week for work.

What are these places like at the moment? Too expensive as I hear that the GC property market is very hot at the moment.
    I am looking at about 500k-750k for a house or townhouse.

Alternatively, I could look at NSW, where I live at the moment at look at Wollongong.

2. Kylie Hutchinson

Kylie Hutchinson New Member

Hi Jank

Both suburbs are great choices.

Helensvale will certainly prove more beneficial though. If looking at prior trends, Helensvales vacancy rate has consistently been lower than 3% since 2005 (besides Aug 09 & Aug 11 which is our slow season under normal circumstances)

With Helensvale being more family orientated, the vacancy rate reflects this with it proving more seasonal. Families are moving into desired catchment zones depending on school preferences & need the kids sorted & organised before school starts.

Robina's vacancy rate is usually under 3% as well however its not as seasonal. Bond uni isn't going to be full again with international students for a while. Robina/Varsity predominantly houses the students that don't live on campus so applications put forward would usually consist of a few of them sharing.

Whilst Robina also doesn't seem that much further, the M1 however is a nightmare & progressively getting worse. With the spike in population & people not able to drive in a straight line, the difference between those suburbs could mean an extra hour in the car.

The train line at Helensvale links up to the trams & buses & is really central providing several ways to commute to anywhere on the GC & an hour express on the train to Brissi.

The market is ridiculous at the moment & it would be beneficial to use a buyers agent should you struggle to find a property suitable.

3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I think Robina might be better for PPOR.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Out of those two, in that price range, Helensvale would be my pick.

GirlPower likes this.
  5. GirlPower

GirlPower Well-Known Member

Agree you won’t get a house now in Robina in that price range only townhouses.I think Wollongong is also a great place to buy and live .

Lindsay_W likes this.
  6. jank

jank Member

Thanks for the feedback.
    I guess my next question would be townhouse vs house. I guess it's a personal thing on how much you can afford.
    From the outlook, townhouses seem a bit simpler, low maintenance but maybe not as good an investment in the longer run.

7. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, buy a house.

8. Lindsay_W

House for sure, Townhouses are ok but if you can afford a free standing house that would be my pick

9. jank

jank Member

Thanks for the reply.

Yea I would veer towards a house, but as a first-time investor kind of scared of it.
    Would the maintenance of the grounds be the responsibility of the renter?

Townhouses seem so much less hastle.
    Also, some new townhouses that are being built are almost as much as a new house. like the difference is about 10%, where I am looking.
    What is that about? I guess renters prefer townhouses than a house, easier to rent out a townhouse?

10. jank

jank Member

What is Nerang like?

11. Hebro

Hebro Well-Known Member

Nerang is great, very central, lower priced houses can still be found.
    But I agree with OP, Helensvale links to tram and train, and is closer to BNE for commuters. Has a Westfield.

12. Lindsay_W

I think you need to do more research into property investment in my opinion.
    There's an old saying, 'land appreciates, buildings depreciate' so the more land portion you can own the better the capital growth potential (in theory)

Why are you 'scared' of a house but not of a Townhouse?
    What makes you think a Townhouse is less hassle than a house?
    Townhouses typically have body corp fees attached to them and rent for cheaper, less land portion than a house.
    Why do you think townhouses appeal more to a renter? Only thing I can think of is rent costs less for a townhouse. If there was a house for rent for the same cost as a townhouse, in the same street, then I would choose the house all day.

Some parts of Nerang are great, other parts are really not so it depends where in Nerang specifically.

13. jank

jank Member

I guess its the thought of buying and looking after something 'big' rather than say a uint or townhouse which have their own cons but offer from a mental point of view a way to dip your toes into the market.

Lower maintenance, usually no garden to look after, some have facilities on the grounds, which of course will cost in terms of body corp.

Some of the townhouses I am looking at are new enough and look well maintained, but some of the houses I see, in the price range look like they could need some work.

I guess to summarise, I wouldn't want to be buying a lemon of a house to find out id need to spend 100k to bring it up to spec. I guess that is where due diligence and a good engineer to report on the house comes in.

However, you are right in what you say. A house is better to buy than a townhouse.

14. DoingOK

DoingOK Well-Known Member

Helenvale north train station is slated to be operational from 2024 which might link nicely with you move to PPOR. Not sure anything near there is in your price range but worth considering. They are planning on linking up with other public transport options as well.

15. Harveys

Harveys Well-Known Member

This.

16. Harveys

Harveys Well-Known Member

And this 100%

Why do you want to invest capital growth or convenience of maintenance? I suggest you do research on what parts of the coast have the best growth, historically and potentially, then what types of properties have better growth as a start.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.