Hedges in IP

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Toon, 23rd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Would hedges be a no-no for an IP? A few of the places I've been watching have hedging to various degrees. Would tenants be expected to maintain them or would you need to include gardening in the rental agreement? I've never had to include gardening before - is it worth the expense to ensure the property is kept neat & tidy or do you just risk it & hope your tenants keep on top of it?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would not expect a tenant to trim hedges. I would include a regular gardener even if just to do the hedges and add a little to the rent, unless you are happy that the hedges grow wild.

3. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Thanks Wylie, I had thought about what the effect might be if the hedges were left to their own devices & I don't think it would be a good look in most cases. Will have to factor in the extra $$$ for gardening if I offer on any of these places.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Unkempt hedges become unrestrained bushes eg. Morayas, buxus, dwarf lilipili etc.

Toon likes this.
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ive got hedges in two of mine, no probs. Tenant maintains

Toon and Hanison like this.
  6. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

In QLD (from my experience) the tenant is expected to weed and mow lawns, cant ask them to cut hedges but my good tenants said no problem we would like to do them. Depends how much hedging there is. Could always get rid of some of the hedges;)

Toon likes this.