Heaters in housing commission

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by snapper17, 22nd Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. snapper17

snapper17 Member

Hi All

My friend lives in housing commission in metro VIC.
    Her heating is currently split systems one of which is not working properly anymore.
    She has been unable to organise a new one.

What we want to know is what type of heater (inc model numbers if you have it) does the government currently install in these houses as the one that was originally installed is not suitable anymore due to leaks.

We have tried to call the housing commission to organise a heater but get stuck in bureaucracy as they don't want to install one that covers the whole house.

thanks

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Public housing has minimum heating requirements. They will install a replacement which may be a space heater not the whole of the house. If one of two splits stopped working they may repair or replace the one that is defective for a like unit. When you are a guest of the government you cant dictate what you get. They do.

3. snapper17

snapper17 Member

thanks. There are new rental laws that require heating to be installed. Do these laws mean the whole house need to be covered or just one room?

thanks

4. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

In Vic I believe it just needs to cover the living area

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There is no requirement for the whole dwelling in any state.

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

In NSW, most of the ones that I've seen....and I've seen a LOT of them, there is NO heating installed by Housing Commission.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Someone needs to commission a heating commission into the housing commission.

craigc likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.