heat lamp with fan vs fan with light in bathroom

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by abbyfresh, 2nd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

Hi,

I need to replace faulty heat lamp in QLD IP bathroom.

Options are:

- Replace with 4 globe heat fan / light which will fit perfectly.

or

- Forget heat lamp and go standard fan light. It will cost a bit more as handyman will need to patch ceiling hole first.

--

Do you find the heat lamps less reliable, more maintenance. and potential fire risks over long term, so best to get rid of?

Plus do tenants really want or will they use heat lamps in QLD anyway?

What are peoples thoughts.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd replace with another heat/light/fan combo, especially it is fits so easily.

Perhaps you just got a lemon. We've never had issues with ours. and we do appreciate heat lamps in winter.

mikey7, neK and kierank like this.
  3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

That's what I did in QLD too. Some bathrooms can become mouldy in winter, even in QLD, if not ventilated properly so the heat light can help.
    I presume the tenants can afford it as it was there previously and sometimes they may expect it if they used it to ventilate, otherwise they may not be too happy?

KayTea likes this.
  4. GapPhantom

GapPhantom Active Member

Replace the heat lamp, easy changeout... But the fans that are on those are pretty much useless, so I've always put a secondary dedicated fan 250mm in the bathroom that comes on with either the "fan" switch on the multi, or the centre "light" switch... Especially with tenants, some of them in the past have not used the fan, so now I have a fan that comes on no matter what basically!

wylie and Archaon like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You might consider installing heated towel rails & underfloor heating too but it's not a 5 minute job either. :p

6. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

Thanks and some good points raised. Will put back in the same heat / fan combo. Using the heat part routinely may also reduce mould if it minimises dampness too. Never tested that one.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We also have the light switch on the fan in our IPs. And we have security grills on bathroom windows. Our IPs don't have Tastic light/fan/heatlamp fittings but a wall mount or ceiling mount fan that comes on with the light.

8. EC101

EC101 Member

If I can throw reality into the equation.
    The heat lamp will have an opening around the lamp so it does not overheat. This opening is directly into the roof void above it.
    The fan is designed to extract wet shower air out and draw in dry fresh air from a window or similar opening..
    Now, air takes the path of least resistance and as such the fan will draw air out but will the intake air will be drawn directly from your roof space?? and as such the fan becomes totally useless in its present state.
    The second question is - is your fan pushing the damp air into your roof space and just creating high humidity and dampness in the rest of the house???
    If you really want to protect your investment, prevention is better than remedy with buildings. High heat and moisture causes intense humidity and with colder bridging (air cons and night cooling), you get condensation. Then you get mould and what is not seen is dampness and rot to the structures.
    1/ Install a fan that extracts to the exterior and has adequate intake fresh air, 2/ close off any passage ventilation voids between the toxic roof space and the internal breathing environment.

Long term, you reduce humidity in whole house, you reduce high termite risk, you create a healthier environment for your tenants, and you lastly you reduce the flow of extreme heat that will enter the house from roof space via back-draft,