Have your AirBnB hosts left any gifts for you, or you left any gifts for the hosts?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Chris Au, 17th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

I recently stayed in an AirBnB in Qld and a welcoming gift was some cheeses and grapes. We haven't used many AirBnBs and from memory, this was the best 'welcoming gift' left for us.

Throwing it out to others to see what interesting/nice/memorable welcome gifts hosts have left, or you (as guests) have left for the hosts (we have never left gifts, just a tidy property)

Cheers,

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Someone i know who used airbnb said the previous guest left them a gift in the toilet...

Casteller, neK and Jamie Moore like this.
  3. Chris Au

mmmm... heard about a few of those presents....

4. Dangsta

Dangsta Member

My friend who stayed at an airbnb place in Brissie was provided a pantry full shopping groceries. She obviously left a raving review about it afterwards.

Sometimes I gift my returned/regular guests with wine/chocolates/biscuits.

5. Chris Au

What!!! :eek:

Your gifts for the returning guests sounds nice.

6. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

As a host I always leave a full "minibar" for guests in the kitchen including twisties block cadburys toblarone as well as rice oil tea coffee and done good as they may be starving like 2 min noodles pasta milk

If they have children I collect a bag of toys and blankets and tell them to keep it

I only run air BnB occasionally but treat guests like my family and they're always nice. I think you have to compensate them for not having a full reception, easy entry, location - I rarely stay in air BnB as I enjoy all hotels amenities especially heating cleaning bedding security

EN710 and Gockie like this.
  7. Chris Au

I assume these goodies are as part of the price to stay?? (ie the toblerone isn't an extra $2, twisties $1 etc). It seems that there are lots of different options with AirBnB's! You can really personalise the stay.

namrata likes this.
  8. splatters

splatters Well-Known Member

i've stayed at many air bnbs and in the process of setting a place up myself. the best welcome pack was in hobart - locally made chocolates and raspberry jam, bottle of tassie wine, and fresh strawberries in the fridge. along with the usual pantry staples.

i'm planning to provide mini jars of my own jam, and tassie chocolate truffles along with fresh milk, mini cereals and standard pantry items.

Chris Au likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When we stayed in an AirBNB in Paris, I left a new parasol bought in Italy and used just one day, some ladies clothing for the lady who opened up for us (like a building supervisor). I asked the owner first, and she said this young supervisor lady would either use the items or find someone else who would.

We just were trying to cut down on our luggage, and it felt nice to give away things to someone who either needed them, or would find a home for them.

10. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I don't go overboard with my Airbnb, but I stayed in an Airbnb in country NSW where the host did. She left freshly baked brownies, bread, homemade jam, eggs and the best bacon I have ever tasted. One of my daughters looked at it all and said, 'You're going to have to lift your game, dad.' I haven't. I have had people leave all sorts of stuff at my place, often because they couldn't fit it in their bags. But we have also had people buy us presents: wine, chocolates, books, records, flowers, a lobster - yep.

Perthguy and Gockie like this.
  11. Chris Au

Need the address for my November visit!

Gockie likes this.
  12. splatters

splatters Well-Known Member

my place in hobart will be up and running on airbnb by then. but depends entirely where you want to stay and what sized property you are after.

13. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Yes all free. I believe when you run an air BnB you must provide staples/mini bar items free, as well as wine chocolates tea and coffee.

A personal touch such as green tea for Japanese guests, PB for Americans, baby items for babies is really nice and thoughtful.

Hotels are starting to offer free minibar items - and you must be hospitable as well as competitive.

14. Chris Au

My mum and I recently stayed in a place and unfortunately, it appeared the Airbnb was a bit of an afterthought - taps didn't work properly, curtains hanging off, mum wanted to clean up the garden, no basic provisions (dishwashing detergent, saucepans, bin liners). We stayed the whole duration, then moved to our next Airbnb and luckily my thoughts of Airbnb homes was restored. While the house was older ('60's or so?) with original furniture, it was spacious, well maintained and presented.

While I don't expect breakfast served or provided in all places (especially for the budget end), I would expect basic provisions to allow guests to use the property quickly upon their arrival (I have heard of other places that need you to buy toilet rolls and garbage bin liners if you use more than the first one offered :eek::confused:).

Rant over, I anticipate that market forces will keep Airbnb/Stayz accomodation standards high.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Ben_j

Ben_j Well-Known Member

We only put our place up for airbnb about once/twice a year, besides the essentials (milk/coffee/tea) we’ll generally leave a bottle of wine as awesome welcome gift.

16. Chris Au

That's great and that's the flexibility that Airbnb gives hosts - you can choose when to let out your place. After staying in these 2 places recently, i think a fundamental is to make sure the basics are working, then provide the finishing touches.

17. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

My wife operates an Airbnb management company and they always leave gifts out for guests - usually wine/beer/cheese/chocolates/stuff for kids (if they have them). It's a lovely touch - especially if you've spent the day travelling to the destination.

Often the guests leave left over beer in the fridge - which I happily accept :)

Cheers

Jamie

18. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

We always leave basics- bread, milk, tea, coffee, muesli, oats, oil, salt pepper. People RAVE about the bread and milk (but others don't touch it). It costs $4.95 per turnover to supply but definitely sets off the tone of the stay in a good way.

thatbum and Adele like this.
  19. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Very much so. Some people see it as an expense to avoid, whereas if I had airbnb I would see it as a marketing expense, that sort of thing gets rave reviews and gets you more business

20. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I had a couple of youngsters move out on Friday after an eight day stay. Great kids - brother and sister from a very small town in Wisconsin on their first trip overseas. I don't usually have youngsters stay, which they must have picked up on, but Presley (yep) wrote such a nice message asking if they could stay. They were very good looking kids, lean with dark skin and big smiles. I asked them where their parents were from and Lyle, the brother, said, 'Dad is from the Sioux tribe and mum is a Chippewa.'
    Anyway, they were travelling on a budget so I gave them lots of ideas about how to do Sydney reasonably cheaply. They took all that on board. And I have something in the pad that I wrote called 'Five Days in Sydney' that tells people with limited time what to see and how to see it and they took their copy everywhere and ticked stuff off.
    When I got home Friday and checked the pad after they had left, there was $200 on the table and a nice note. They said they were way under budget on their trip and wanted to buy me something but couldn't work out what to buy me.
    I message them and said that was a crazy thing for a couple of students to do and I would need to work out how to get the money back to them. Presley said 'no way'. So I told her I had a plan. I bought a bottle of wine for dinner on the weekend, and 'm going to spend the rest of that $200 on Opal cards - the cards we use in Sydney for public transport. I'll get 17 cards with $10 balances and give them to travellers who seem to be on a budget. I'll tell them it's courtesy of Presley and Lyle from Wisconsin.
    Scott