Have you been asked for a rent reduction?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ozwanderlust, 23rd Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

So I am ignorant because I happen to work hard to succeed. Then because I offer rent relief to an unemployed person I give LLs a bad name. You guys need to get a life.

joel, Pingu1988 and MB18 like this.
  2. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

All possibilities, but rather extreme if the tennants are only after tempory rent relief for three months. $150 @ three months is bascially the equivilent of two weeks vacancy and a reletting fee in the scenario I refer to.
    If the prevailing mindset is that the tennant under tempory hardship should vacate before the rent is reduced then its a sad society we live in.
    One does not need to know an individual landlords position to realise that the scenrio above is affordable, and to suggest otherwise is merely penny pinching. Most LL should be able to access mortgage relief so they will only be out expense for the capitilsed interest (~$100), if not they should still be able to wear what amounts to around two weeks vacancy and a reletting fee.

There will always be those who think that for one party to win, the other (themselves) must be loosing. I think good on Bazza for acting otherwise.

Caz2019, Melbourne_guy and Bazza like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Job keeper payments end in September? This is when we will get a better idea on how this may impact on future rents, it may be a case of working out payment plans with tenants????

That will be my plan if necessary

4. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

@MTR I think anyone who has tenants on jobseeker will be in for a rough ride. They used to be okay on Newstart but they’re used to having much more money now.

jim1964, Pingu1988 and MTR like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Great, I have one which I will need to work with I am pretty sure of this

6. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood my post. I was just pointing out that your comments about tenants not having options wasn't correct. They have plenty of options. Easy or difficult, they are still options.

As for the above quote, perhaps you're over-generalising, misunderstanding or perhaps even projecting. Nobody on these boards is suggesting what you are saying.

As for Bazza. Good on him/her. Although I was confused by their posts TBH. At first they came off as a tenant sprouting some out-there ideas then the next moment they are a magnanimous LL!

Anyway, my main point is that asking the LL to reduce rent should be the LAST port of call after everything else has been exhausted. That is taking personal responsibility.

Pingu1988, Kassy, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  7. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Not about being used to having much more money, the eligibility and deeming criteria differ.

Newstart no longer exists and has been replaced with JobSeeker.

Whether one works out better than the other depends on thier family make up and results of the deeming test.
    Jobseeker also had some additional stimulus payments however I do not know how long they are scheduled to remain in place.

8. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I'd suggest that in tempory hardship approaching a landlord for rental relief word be sensible, and that terminating a tenancy should be the LAST port of call (for both parties).

Pingu1988 likes this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Are you just saying that you are one of the ignorant few? I don't recall mentioning your name.

10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

In many cases there is no way to know for sure just how temporary the situation is for tenants on jobseeker. It might only be for three months, but the reality is that it could stretch for many years.

Kassy and wylie like this.
  11. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean, the eligibility criteria has changed but jobseeker has replaced Newstart? That’s a bit of a contradiction.

The government has said it’ll go back down to $40/day in September. This may well change but regardless the government are planning on it going back to pre-corona levels at some point.

12. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Jobseeker and jobkeeper are two different thinks. Newstart no longer exists, it became JobSeeker in March.

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The Govt made it very clear that this was a temporary thing until September.

14. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Where did I say anything about JobKeeper? I’ve been talking about jobseeker the whole time.

15. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I'd be inclined to disagree, it's very different. The deferral of mortgage repayments moves up to six months of payments to the end of the mortgage, at which time the landlord still has an income producing asset so the impact on them is negligible.

The deferral of rental payments moves an obligation to pay an amount to the landlord to the end of an undefined period where the tenant will then have to pay a large amount of accrued rent and their normal rent, simply exacerbating their financial hardship. This is why I think solutions consisting only of rent deferrals are not a good faith effort to respond to a hardship request. One of the states even made that point explicitly before their real estate association's lobbying got them to back down.

That said, yes that doesn't take into account those who don't have mortgages (retirees, etc). They only have Centrelink to fall back on (Centrelink is waiving asset testing, so owning IPs currently does not disqualify you from receiving JobSeeker - though the income might).

16. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

From my experience of tenants on payment plans after rent arrears and causing damage the weekly amount is often as low as $10 per week. I've currently got a couple of ex tenants paying this amount minus centrelink and PM fees. It will take many, many years to get the money I am owned.

Once the current situation subsides I doubt the the banks would be so generous.

Yes there may be a repayment holiday for some if they can verify their level of distress but the missed payments just leads to capitalising of debt. Compounding in reverse.

Mat likes this.
  17. Karlos1234

Karlos1234 Well-Known Member

Not yet but every single day I expect it.

18. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Just noticed that our tenants have paid the next month rent full. They have not requested rent reduction. However through the grape wine we heard that her hours have been reduced and she is on jobkeeper payment. He is paramedic with the steady income. If I remember correctly jobkeeper payment is close to her normal wages anyway.

19. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Tenant requested a rent reduction last month. We decided to wait until end of last week to see whether the easing of restriction help. Not much impact so far, so agreed to temporary reduction to be fully re-assessed next month.

20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

just read an online forum , that some feel that the government shouldnt reduce jobseeker as its cruel to reduce the amount that people have become used to.....

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O