Has anyone used a Bosch self-cleaning (pyrolytic) oven

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ouchmyknees, 25th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Hi guys

I’m thinking about getting a Bosch self-cleaning oven. Research shows that this type may create more fume/smoke when it does self-clean so it may trigger the fire alarm. Also because of the high heat it is more likely to break than normal ovens. Has anyone used these before? What’s your feedback? Thanks!

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We have a Bosch pyrolytic oven. Bought it 6 years ago.

Never had any issues. The only thing we have had to replace is the light bulb - very easy to go.

The wife loves it as it is so easy to clean and keep clean ;).

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  3. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I had an Electrolux one at my last place, worked fine. Minus was that you have to remove the chrome shelves and supports first and clean these the hard way. Also, for this oven anyway, note the required clearances. I'd have installed one here but it's above benchtop level in a 600 wide cabinet so I couldn't achieve these.

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  4. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I have an AEG - mainly as it had more space but pretty much the same as a Bosch. The only noted toxicity is for birds (and maybe reptiles). I think it might be PTFE based but not sure. I do open the window as it is just common sense with something which is burning off inside.

One thing I would get is non stick fully telescopic racks. That also speeds up the cleaning which has to be done manually.

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  5. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

We have just placed a order with Winnings for a Bosch Serie 8 Pyro over and induction cooktop.

Read the review and it had good reviews and write ups and fitted our Budget.

We did upgrade the dish washer to a Seimans (Same factory as Bosch) as it has a better 5yr warranty and efficiency rating for not a lot more.

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  6. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Yep. Great oven. Just don't expect to do a bunch of roasts then hit the pyro function to clean it up. I've been there already... There were flames!!!

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Same with us. We have to remember to "clean" it more often because we eat so many roasts. I have banned my son from doing Pork Crackling in it due to the flames. His pork is bannished to the outdoor BBQ instead. Oven heats up quickly which is good.

But I dont know if mine is "pyro" or plain self-cleaning. It heats up the house easily when cleaning so I havent done it as much over Summer.

It took us about half an hour and a minor meltdown to turn it on when we first installed it though, so many dials and controls.

Something_Wrong and Ouchmyknees like this.
  8. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

I've had a Bosch for 10 years. I clean in the cooler months and have the windows open to let the smell out. I've had no problems with the fire alarms - works well

Ouchmyknees likes this.