Education & Work Has anyone ever just gone "stuff you" and quit their job?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by KayTea, 21st Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I tried a few years ago - tried putting my years of teaching into an industry training role. Went for 2 job interviews, and was told the following - "You do realise that we don't just work from 9 til 3, and get 12 weeks holiday per year, don't you?", and my favourite "I've always found that teachers have trouble talking to adults - what do you think?" (to which I almost replied "well, my husband acts like a 5 year old, does that count?!")

luckyone, HUGH72 and Sackie like this.
  2. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I've tried, a couple of times - even sent a couple of emails to voice my concerns. Yet to hear back........

3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You could be professional and say teaching kids gives me the skill to keep breaking down ideas until they understand. This also works when teaching adults. Or like teaching good training is in the work you do behind the scenes.

Outrage just cofirms there thinking.

Last edited: 22nd Feb, 2018
    Gockie likes this.
  4. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Don't worry @Trainee - I didn't actually say that.

There are a lot of skills that teachers have that could be very beneficial in other jobs - the ability to control 30+ hormonal teenagers, all with different social, emotional, and academic needs, abilities and expectations, all at the same time, is a real skill. It just isn't recognised or valued by a lot of other professions (or people, for that matter).

Stoffo, wylie, Angel and 2 others like this.
  5. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Stressful being a teacher and even worse if you work in the high performing schools like James Ruse.

6. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

I told 3 employers in my life time to get their job and shove it fair up their butt cheeks and I didn't use the words 'butt cheeks' at the time either. Some employers just see people as a number and expendable. I didn't have any problems finding future work either but I was well known in the industry to be a hard worker.

I've also worked as a teacher and I know where the OP is coming from, it's a totally different job looking from the outside than being on the podium itself, especially if you have a caring nature for people because you get confronted with all sorts of issues. A lot of your own time gets used up in organising teaching resources and dealing with all the other associated problems that come with the job.

KayTea likes this.
  7. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

I came from that school and that is not true. I had many a dodgy and lazy teacher (economics, physics) they could get away with it because the students teach themselves and bounce of each other. Also rarely had case of bullying or big fights or drugs or aggression towards staff which teachers had to deal with - everyone was focused on what was coming after highschool. It was actually quite a nice enviroment where ppl studied together and taught each other, going to the library at lunch was fine, the real nerds/geeks that lacked social skills was accepted just to be themselves. It also helped that most kids came from fairly stable families.

Poppy likes this.
  8. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Mount druitt high school would be exciting :)

9. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Hi @HomePage.

Just having a browse and noticed this post of yours. I recall you saying at some stage you were retired partly funded on a defined benefit pension. Generally these are only available if one is over 55 or if one is made redundant. If you don’t mind me asking am I correct in assuming that being 55 was the reason for commencement of the pension?

10. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Not saying this is easy but focus on the core and deprioritise what can not be achieved in reasonable hours. If management decides to overload then give them the choice of priority. Not managing upward perpetuates these issues and you can't please everyone. (Noting that everyone includes yourself!)

KayTea likes this.
  11. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

yes i did that once. After selling my share in a partnership i went to work for a much larger firm. lasted 6 weeks and resigned. didnt regret it one bit. then spent 6 years after that in south east asia.

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It would be interesting to know how many said stuff it ,and walked out over the past year within this site..
    It's been 18 years now ,when the Accountant we used back then just said to me--it's better to just finish work now ,live off the incomes and let compounding on compounding do it's job ..

13. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Still haven't said "stuff it" - financially, still not in a position to do so. However, I'm actively looking into alternatives, and am not quite so worried about how it will 'look' if I leave at a time that's inconvenient to the school etc. I'm making myself a higher priority.

willair, wylie, Tim86 and 3 others like this.
  14. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Have you thought about going international @KayTea ? A lot of international schools are great, will give your child a free education and pay pretty well.

15. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Keep your eye on the prize... it is fine to formulate a plan to leave... at a time when you've already organised yourself an alternate source of income. In the meantime, have a glass of wine with your mates, vent, and tough it out. It wouldn't do at all to quit without having another job or income source, only to start realizing you have to start selling assets due to inability to hang onto them.

qak likes this.
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Yes, it was far better for my mental health.

Working a a factory modifying semi trailers, it was a mess and at times dangerous, I had complained to my supervisor, but was always fobbed off, occasionally my manager (not supervisor) would just stand behind me and watch, one day I went and stood next to him and said "interesting huh, do you want to do it instead of hovering ?" o_O
    I ended up complaining to him and was told "if you don't like it LEAVE", so 15 min before smoko I packed up my tools, loaded them into my car during smoko and went and clocked off :p
    I can still remember my supervisor following me through the car park pleading with me to stay :rolleyes:
    I should have planned to leave, my actions were rash
    I had a mortgage, no I couldn't afford to leave, but I soon found another job with better conditions and pay :cool:

Hope it all works out for you

Ted Varrick likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes-ish ... A place I had worked out for 6+ years was moving all staff onto performance contracts - and I knew their idea of "performance" - ie, volume - didn't fit with my idea of "client satisfaction" - ie, doing the job properly. Rumours circulated that the company was going to offer redundancies, so marched into my managers office and stated that I wanted one. Got it too and was a nice little payout.

Every so often I'd drive past the old workplace (on the way to somewhere else) and spy the morbid depression on the faces of those that still worked there - never regretted my decision.

Have also recently decided to stopped growing/selling garlic commercially - so basically quit my own business. For the hours worked and the stress regarding weather and product quality and timing - the pay really sucks, especially if experiencing crop damage due to weather or infestations which are out of your control. In hindsight I could've earned more working 1 day a fortnight at a local cellar door (not that we needed the money) ... I enjoyed the journey but ...

Gockie and wylie like this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I do find it amazing that people still think teachers work 9-3 with 12 weeks holiday. So much extra work has been forced onto them - a lot of stuff that really should be taught in the home - along with the mental health issues, removal of authority.

I know at junior's school the teachers just about all have 1-2 extra curricular items they organise - whether it be a 2 week service trip to India or the equestrian team events (yes, we live in the country) or the annual full-blown drama production ... just about every teacher has a massively full load - and then they seem to be on "training" every second week.

inertia likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

HI @KayTea, I was wondering how you are going.

20. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Quit after u find a new job. The only time Ive ever quit a job without one to go to was when I had no responsibilities and I was young.