Has anyone ever built a viewing deck on top of their house

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Whitecat, 2nd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I went up onto my roof of ppor and saw these awesome views of the city and the neighborhood. Quite panoramic and spacious. Would make a great deck area.
    I can legally build an extra story on top of my house but I don't have the money at the moment to do an extra storey nor do I need the internal living space atm but I would really love to have an area up there where I could put some chairs and watch the city lights sparkle.
    The roof is an A frame gabled roof house in Milton built in the 1910-20s character control overlay.
    According to council, height shouldn't be a problem but I will have to apply for a development application under the character overlay and also 'small lot' provisions.
    For me at the moment the question is really about structure I don't want to cut a hole in my roof and have a kind of a basin deck in there as those are always hard to waterproof. I would prefer to leave the roof intact and just have something flat running across the top of the A frame roof. There are two A frame Gables at the front. Then just a single A frame running back after that I would put something on top of that back part so that you couldn't really see it from the streetfront Ie so you couldn't see a flat roof on top of a triangle shape
    Raising the house seems like an unlikely/expensive option given that it is on a sloping block and has been extended out the back it's a possibility which I will explore but even so at the moment the cost would be prohibitive so I'm really just looking for something simple and cost effective that will give me 10+ years of viewing pleasure before I look at building up with internal infrastructure.
    Access can be from the outside via a ladder or steps up the side of the house. I don't need internal access.
    Thoughts/ideas/builder recommendations?
    Thanks PC crew

Attached Files:

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Will you be affected by overlooking provisions or does that not apply with a deck?

Whitecat likes this.
  3. Whitecat

My neighbours already have added an extra story at the back of their house and have a small platform attached so they are already up there so to speak. There's nothing to look 'down' onto
    the house on the other side is more or less derelict and I know the old man that lives there won't have a problem and when he passes away that replacement house is going to be super tall.
    In terms of overlooking at the front across the street then that's no different to adding an additional story Ie all of the houses going back up the hill look down to the ones below. You can see in the photo of the houses behind me are up above me.
    But yes I am a little bit lost about where to start I need to get some planning advice or something because those sorts of questions will be asked in the DA.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would think the cost of adding a viewing deck would not be cheap. I think they always look odd. We often ask each other "I wonder if anyone ever climbs up there with a glass of wine or a platter of nibblies?"

There is a very expensive one near us and I've never seen anyone up there.

I'd bite the bullet and lift the whole house. You should be able to do that (disconnect, lift, reconnect) for say $50k and, assuming you have nothing underneath now, you will have the same once lifted but you have more height.

You can build under if and when you need more living area or want to add to your house value that you can onsell without paying any capital gains tax.

Whitecat, Marg4000 and mikey7 like this.
  5. Whitecat

I have a bathroom under there and a rumpus atm.
    The challenge will be the extension at the back built on a slab. Block slopes up to back. Don't know how that extension would go with lifting.
    Definitely worth checking it all out because atm rumpus is not legal height.
    May also run into problems lifting at the front as it will take it above 9.5 metres from the ground given the slope of the block that's why the neighbours built on the top of their property but at the back only

Last edited: 2nd Mar, 2017
  6. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I've wanted to do this, but haven't (yet). My PPOR is brick veneer so there's no chance to raise it (for "reasonable" $$!), so the deck option is still there. Would be great to learn from others on this...

7. UrbanPlanner

UrbanPlanner Well-Known Member

we just did something similar with our PPOR build in Perth and whilst ours was a new build so obviously a hell of a lot easier to build in from the start, the waterproofing was the biggest thing for the architect and builder to get their heads around. Roof terrace is 6x6m and accessed externally from the balcony below (and definitely gets used). We have a skillion roof which helped but all sorts of ideas were thrown around for waterproofing. In the end we decided to build it essentially like a traditional deck on a sloped ground - the sub-structure is fixed through the roof sheets (100mm insulated panel) into the roof beams and built up to account for the slope in the roof, then ecodeck used as the finished floor. The water literally runs through the gaps in the decking on the roof underneath and into the box gutter, exactly as it would without the roof terrace. The roof timbers also needed to be beefed up significantly to account for the extra weight – went from traditional rafters @ 1000mm centres, to huge LVL’s at 300mm centres.

Propin likes this.
  8. Whitecat

that's what I would be looking at if I did it. Build it above the roof iron.

9. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

A periscope would be much cheaper and easier.

Lemmy a fiver likes this.
  10. Whitecat

mcarthur likes this.
  11. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

You could use these: Roof Extenda Bracket - Roof Extenda Pty Ltd
    Build a simple raised deck frame and handrails with a roll up shade sail or similar.....
    But as @UrbanPlanner said - you will need to have stronger support for the deck and likely loads due to people and furniture.
    This should be done by an engineer to ensure safety.
    Council compliance - if it has the engineers designs and safety loads it should be ok - others have done it!
    Good luck. :)

Whitecat likes this.
  12. jim1964

jim1964 1941

From my roof. Finniss1.JPG

13. UrbanPlanner

UrbanPlanner Well-Known Member

Very nice, is that McLaren Vale region? If we're exchanging rooftop photos, this is our view IMG_3679.JPG

broc119, Damo93, Sackie and 6 others like this.
  14. jim1964

jim1964 1941

15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The other thing to consider, is that even if your neighbour does give permission, the Council will assess it against any future use of the block next door.
    It's likely that you may need to put 1600mm high screening around some or all of it which may defeat the purpose so you can't look into anyone's rear yards if you're less than 6 metres from their boundary. I say 6 as that is one of the magical overlooking numbers in Perth but yours may be different.

16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Love this!!!

UrbanPlanner likes this.
  17. Whitecat

I was talking to my friend about the idea and then a few days later he sent me this when he was out and about for his work has an example of one done in character Style which if I did proceed with something like this I would have to ensure it fits with the character and material of the house due to the nature of the zoning I'm in. 511241468.jpg

broc119 and Tim86 like this.
  18. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

@Tim86 might be able to help. He's building the whole double story house himself. There's a thread named 'PPOR project' if you want to dig.

19. Whitecat

Yes I'm really hoping @Tim86 can pop over sometime :).
    I've been watching that thread. Awesome big place and shows the potential of tin and timber.

Tim86 likes this.
  20. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

we've been thinking of doing something similar, however we are looking at building a flat roofed carport on the side with a deck on top.

Whitecat and Propin like this.