Happy International Men's Day!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Mombius Hibachi, 19th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

Last edited: 19th Nov, 2015
    ellejay and D.T. like this.
  2. Mombius Hibachi

Feminists, the gatekeepers of 'equality' oppose the recognition of International Men's Day. Mock focus on supporting men in desperate need of support and demand that only womens' issues be given any attention.

The University of York Doesn't Care About Male Suicide

"When the University of York’s equality and diversity committee announced they would be marking International Men’s Day, it led to an immediate backlash from feminist students and activist professors, 200 of whom signed an open letter urging the university to cancel the event.

In a brazen abandonment of progressive values, the letter describes the ideal of “equality for everyone” as “misogynistic rhetoric.” It also complained that organisers did notseek a dialogue on such issues with women’s equality campaigns or initiatives” before making their decision to mark International Men’s Day. “We believe that men’s issues cannot be approached in the same way as unfairness and discrimination towards women, because women are structurally unequal to men,” the letter concluded."

and

"The decision has drawn a counter-backlash. Writing at The Telegraph, mental health campaigner Glen Poole said the University of York had put “suicidal men” and the people who advocate for their support in a “double bind,” on the one hand being told by public health campaigners to get men talking about their issues, and on the other being told by feminist campaigners that they should shut up."

3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

All too common.
    Women have always been able to form close friendships with each other. Men somehow don't have the same capabilities, they bond on alcohol and stupid things - filling a void, but women can do real friendships with each other so much better.

4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I have few close friends (some people on this forum will be surprised that I have any ;)), but value those that I do have highly.
    My dad is certainly one person that doesn't have any close friends (unless you count my mum), but he's definitely not depressed or unhappy about it.

Beanie Girl, MTR and Xenia like this.
  5. Mombius Hibachi

Male University of York Student Commits Suicide on Day His University Ditches International Men's Day After Pressure From Feminists - Breitbart

"Glen Poole, UK Co-ordinator for International Men’s Day, told Breitbart: “Research tells us that men find it easier to get help when the problem they are dealing with is socially acceptable. No-one thinks twice about taking a pill to help with a headache. But when the pain inside your head is so great you’d rather kill yourself than carry on, reaching out for help can feel impossible, particularly for men with little experience of getting help with their personal problems and concerns.

and

“Creating an environment where men’s issues are openly discussed can play a major role in helping men get help. So when academics and students resist attempts to talk about men’s issues, as happened in York, they help create a kind of suicidal culture where men are shamed into staying silent about the issues they face as a man.”

6. Mombius Hibachi

Australia

If you are currently dealing with or know a male who is struggling with mental health issues, here is a website with lots of great information.

Home

If anyone knows of any other resources for men, please feel free to post them.

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Happy men's day - I'm married, but if I want and had to choose a partner right now, I would have one criteria - that he is happy, successful and fulfilled in his own life. Someone who is always reaching out and growing.

I don't need anyone's money, no one has ever supported me - ever! I can make my own money but happiness and growth would be the number one key for me in a partner.

..... And he has to be hot and love animals lol

But that's secondary.

BigKahuna, Beanie Girl and MTR like this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A pity that "hotness" is such a big criteria, for both men and women.

Those of us who are not hot can miss out on so much, possibly leading to some of the aforementioned depression .

RM1827, Beanie Girl, MTR and 2 others like this.
  9. Mombius Hibachi

Xenia, International Men's Day is about addressing mens' health issues including, but not limited to: depression, anxiety and suicide. It is not an opportunity for you to list men's perceived (by you) shortcomings and listing attributes that you want in a man.

Ostraylia, S.T, Jamie_ and 3 others like this.
  10. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I do; I come here and talk dribble all day...:p

MTR likes this.
  11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I am not sure when International Mens Day became an episode of The Bachelorette?

12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I know - sorry just trying to bring some fun in.

I lost a cousin to suicide last year he was my age. - mid 40s - I know it's an issue.

3 days ago my cousins wife - 53 also took her life.

People feeling like they are thriving and growing and belonging I think is a key.

Both of these people had a belief that someone else was in control - "no one is ever going to give me a job at my age" "it's hard to compete in business"

These are false premises as no one else is ever in control of your life and happiness.

They both seemed happy on the surface but very difficult to get away from false ingrained beliefs.

13. Mombius Hibachi

For those that are interested, here is a link to the Australian Men's Shed Association.

Mens Sheds Men's Sheds AMSA Australian Men's Shed Asscociation

Men's Shed is a place for men to get together and do manly stuff and help the local community through various projects, as well as providing an outlet for individual men to spend time hanging out with other men in one of the few remaining male only spaces. I'm in the process of joining one, sounds like it will be a good time!

Ostraylia and KayTea like this.
  14. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I was wondering why the gentlemen next door had the flags flying,and thanks for the link,but a Man today is not different from before,mental health issues have been around for from the start of history..
    This was put up on the other site i have it on my fibro office wall..

“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
    If you are anxious you are living in the future.
    If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

RM1827, Beanie Girl and MTR like this.
  15. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Sorry but that's a load of bull. Mental illnesss isnt something you can overcome with mindset, an inspirational quote or "snap out of it". It needs either medical or psychologist assistance.

16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not trying to win any argument,and as i have seen several over the years that take their own exit path,they bring back all the tools you lent them ,pay all the bills ,give the dogs away ,then next thing you looking at hole in the ground and someone you knew is being lowered into the ground,just depends on the attitude of the person some need medical help ,but i have a few mates on the anti-dep pills for a few years now and the hard part is unlinking from the meds..
    Myself a long walk picking up empty drink cans for the local girl guides,and a hand fullof mint each day..

WattleIdo and Beanie Girl like this.
  17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Is that actually today?
    Surely someone has organised a morning tea or something.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well said.
    my partner ticks almost all the boxes ....."loves animals, sort of hot 15 years ago", but whose counting..LOL

ellejay, Beanie Girl and Xenia like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Love this Will, same say the same for just about anyone....mindfulness.

BigKahuna, Beanie Girl and Xenia like this.
  20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Geeze, I hope I have kids like you.
    They will be out working as soon as they can walk.