Gutter leaf guard recommendation Brisbane south/east suburbs

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by wylie, 28th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who can install gutter leaf guards in a two level house on the south/east side of Brisbane?

I can google, but would prefer a recommendation. :)

Edit: I've just googled, and it seems many say don't install these as they still allow twigs and other matter to slip through and clog up the downpipes.

Any experience out there - do I or don't I?

2. tomerayz

tomerayz Well-Known Member

We bought a 1960’s house in March 2020. It had leaf guard installed by previous owners. I have never had any issues with blocked gutters, nothing gets past them, they are very small holes & twigs won’t get through!

wylie likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

We've had issues where seeds fall through, then you get grass growing in the gutter, and they are impossible to remove!

The Y-man

4. wylie

Thanks @tomerayz and @The Y-man for that. I'm not sure what to do now.

Has anyone else had good or bad experience with gutter guards.

The neighbour to this IP has a rainforest on his 400m2 block which is clogging our gutters and causing water to flow into the house via the eaves.

We can arrange clearing by our plumber every three to six months or get the gutter guard.

5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Wow, how much will that cost? I got a quote for my house recently and it’s around $150 from a maintenance person.

I think it will depend on what trees and what they drop.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Maybe remove the gutters altogether? :D

The Y-man

7. Tyla

Tyla Well-Known Member

I had it installed in my previous PPOR (single storey), which was next to a reserve and surrounded by gum trees. It definitely improved for me as I didn't have to clean the gutters of the main house. Only leaves and branches would pile up in the valley, and all I had to do was blow them off once a year or so. I couldn't install gutter guard in my carport and sunroom, and I had to clean the gutters there every 6-12 month, which wasn't pleasant.

8. wylie

I've just paid $120. But our plumber is coming for dinner here tonight, good friends and I know he won't rip me off.

I've asked for quote online, no response yet. Any idea of what gutter guard might cost for an average tiled roof three bedroom house? The neighbours have been talking of selling for a while, and I'm sure when they go the new buyer will trim the trees. The house next door must be so dark due to the trees. They are rainforest looking trees, maybe gums as well, palms. It's a real forest.

Propin likes this.
  9. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

When I had one of the IP's built 20 years ago, I installed some of the plastic mesh type from Bunnings. I didn't do every gutter as the trees were only near some parts of the roof and I had run out of time. To my surprise, I got back up on the roof again last year and it had worked really well and is still in place. I thought it would have been all cracked and perished but it looked as good as the day I had installed it.

Whites 180mm x 8m Super Gutter Guard - Bunnings Australia

Last edited: 2nd Jun, 2022
    wylie and Propin like this.
  10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

That’s a good price from your plumber. Like the last poster said he tried a few gutters rather then the whole house, I think that would be worth a try and see how it goes.

wylie likes this.
  11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Hi Wylie
    did you end up finding a solution? Have a similar issue with one of my IPs. There's a massive blue gum (situated in the neighbour's property) towering above it and it rains s*** down 24/7 - seeds, leaves, twigs and branches as thick as my wrist. It's a real PITA.

To the point where the gutters back up and water flows THROUGH THE CEILING at the rear. I have someone clearing the roof every 2-3 months at great expense and still it happens.

12. wylie

We made a rather unplanned and quick decision to sell that house. So we didn’t go ahead with looking at gutterguard.

We also had to clear out gutters every six months and we also had rain back up and enter the soffits and into the front room on two occasions.

The new owner may have better luck asking the neighbours if they will trim their trees.

Lacrim likes this.