Gumtree rent adverstisement

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by PropertyInsight, 22nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

How have you experienced with rent adverstisement on gumtree.com.au?

I got a lot of enquiries but most of them are from people who seem not be good tenants.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You get the quality of tenant you pay for with your advertising.

bob shovel likes this.
  3. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

Gumtree tenants are black listed hence why looking on there as they cannot get anywhere with agencies etc.

4. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

I've had magnificent tenants from Gumtree for over 6 years now. I did all the check ups as would be done for any other tenants, no different. Some people who are more savvy will use different mediums to find a rental property.

legallyblonde, WestOz and wylie like this.
  5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Screen them well

6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

It's mostly not great tenants, but you get the odd gem. Often people coming out of a marriage and have mortgage repayment history but no rental history, but are people that know how to look after a property and pay the bills on time.

Gockie likes this.
  7. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

From a friends experience, gumtree is a **** attractor.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've also had good tenants via Gumtree. One is still with me seven years later.

But obviously, you get a lot of people who cannot rent via an agent, so you have to be careful and do what checks you can.

About eight years ago I had someone pick up my listing (VJ house) and added a photo from a modern unit (red flag).

Unfortunately, someone was scammed. I lost nothing but a young lady who thought she was paying a deposit to me, paid it to the scammer.

These days, I do a "let only" and the agency does all the checks. It is easier and less risky.

9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

As a generalisation, people via gumtree are those that would fail agency background/database checks, be very vigilant.

Refer below

HELP BAD TENANT- Need Help please!

10. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

We use gumtree for one rental in particular, and I agree with all of the above warnings - screen VERY carefully. It may even be beneficial to look into paying for access to the TICA database.

That said, all of the tenants we've chosen so far have been true gems - absolutely no complaints at all. So there ARE good tenants out there on gumtree..... just be very picky. We've left it vacant for weeks, to get the right tenant, rather than just take someone.

Edit: grrr typo

Last edited: 22nd Nov, 2017
    wylie likes this.
  11. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

When I was a tenant I used gumtree to find a place twice because I was moving and needed to rock up and move straight in.

At the time the rentals were very tight and the agents wanted to meet, sign documents and put me on a waiting list.

I didn't have time for all of that and gumtree helped a lot. In hindsight this was a bit risky but it worked out great for us and the landlord.

12. Lifeinonemotion

Lifeinonemotion Member

I've had mixed bag experiences on both sides

Lived in a largish 'cheap' share house and and we had advertised a vacant room through gumtree. Mostly backpackers that had jobs but only planning on staying 3 months, or crazy 18 year olds clearly getting kicked out of home for drug use. Or 30 year olds getting kicked out of wherever for drug use. The vetting process was an eye opener thats for sure.

I've also used gumtree as the sharehousing tenant - and was a great experience - was a singleton at the time, wanted somewhere nice to live close to the city after the owner of my previous rental (shared, but not gumtree) was moving back in. I could choose between a run down studio in that area I wanted to live, live well out of the city, or a room in a beautiful OTT executive home close to work. Chose the latter. I dont think the owner had too many riff-raff queries based given it was still quite exxy in comparison to other properties in the area (and with reason). Owners lived completely seperately to rest of the house, and the other tenants were well selected.

I'm not in a position anymore where I would need to rent or advertise on gumtree for accommodation (yay PPOR and actual income), but don't know if I would really do either again - even though I did have such a good place as a boarder.

hammer likes this.
  13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Not all tenants from GT, and other media platforms are crap.

Like us landlords, tenants get frustrated with crappy PM's, would rather deal direct with the owner.

Adelaide, S.T and wylie like this.
  14. wylie

This actually was the reason my current tenant gave. She was tired of dealing with agents. Perhaps she’d had a bad experience. She is a fantastic tenant.

15. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I have done it twice and both lots of tenants are perfect and still there now. One for nearly two years and the other I have had for nearly three years. Both are now enjoying below MV rent because they make my life easy and the houses are immaculate.

Although it is probably because the market around Hobart is extremely tight so all tenants check gumtree . Maybe in other areas it's only the dodgy tenants that checked on gumtree.

S.T likes this.
  16. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

I have got good tenants from gumtree before. However, so many enquiries from unqualified tenants cause letting time consumption.

17. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I've had some great Gumtree tenants, enough that I always advertise my properties there, but you do have to be very vigilant because the quality of applicant is far poorer by average than Realestate.com or similar.

18. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Experience selling unwanted gift cards or Events Cinema gold class vouchers haven't been impressive. Lots of people who can't afford $20 and want to haggle. I noticed Gumtree have made a solid attempt at changing their perception through their TV ads but still, quality seems poor.

Would'nt bet on it for getting a good tenant.

19. kennyboi

kennyboi Well-Known Member

I had advertised concurrently with my agent's ad once to try to speed things up. I had lots of queries of people want to have a look and saying they would like to rent my place. However, when I hand them my agent's form and ask them to complete, they all strangely disappeared.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  20. wylie

I've also done this. And I agree this is the first test for a tenant. If they don't want to be checked by an agent, I don't want them in my house.

I put the house that time with an agent, but he was not doing much to get a tenant. I watched from afar (not trying to catch the agent doing anything wrong, just to see how many people came through the open house).

He pulled up about seven minutes past the (15 minute) open house start time. Went inside, and was back out within three minutes and drove off. Nobody came to the open house, but I was pretty disgusted. I reckon he just needed to go to the bathroom.

So I put my own advert on Gumtree, found my own tenant, still paid him for doing the checks, lease etc, but I found her, not him.

But my current great tenant was happy to be checked. She really just wanted direct ongoing contact with a landlord rather than an agent. I'm guessing she had a reason, but I've never asked.