Guidance on tree removal

Discussion in 'Development' started by RichardN, 27th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RichardN

RichardN Well-Known Member

Hello all, can someone help me to know what is the tree name in pictures.

I just bought a house with 900 SQM block of land in Hills Shire council and looking to remove the tree in the picture before it becomes an issue ( branches falling on the roof, issues with any future developments etc.) in 5 years time.
    Appreciate if someone can help with the following questions.

- How bad/ big this tree could go and make it problematic in future
    - The tree is on retaining wall, so does it mean that I should not disturb the retaining wall because it hurts tree?
    - If we go for DA to build a new house, do councils approve to remove tree since it’s close to future potential structure?
    - Just to avoid future nuisance, just poison it before it becomes an issue. Do councils have a system to prove it’s poisoned? If yes, how do they prove who did that? I just moved to the house so I can say I have no clue what happened.

Pics are here.

Imgur
    Imgur
    Imgur

Cheers

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why do people buy properties with valuable trees and then seek to destroy the neighbourhood by wanting to cut them down 'because they may become a problem some day'?

The solution is to incorporate and consider the tree into the design of the structure which is still some years away.

It's not one of the more common eucalypts (brushbox, ironbark, tallowwood, turpentine, Vic Ash, grey gum, scribbly gum, alpine ash.

Probably something endemic to the cumberland plains - Linky

Last edited: 27th Jan, 2020
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes, Councils can tell if you have poisoned it.

Since it’s on the fence line I do ‘t see how you can claim it will interfere with a development.

It doesn’t look like a significant tree so you may be able to remove it - but be sure to get council permission first.

I agree with Scot-no-mates about people who move to leafy areas and want to remove trees.

Birds, insects, soil microbes, shade - we really need trees for these things but it seems like a lot of people don’t appreciate them at all.

RichardN, Islay, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Silverghost

Silverghost Well-Known Member

That looks like some type of leptospermum (tea tree). Likewise the other posters, just leave it alone.

Islay and Paul@PAS like this.
  5. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

Could be Melaleuca Bracteata . Seen better days, maybe ask council if you can replace .

RichardN likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Doesnt seem dangerous or unhealthy. Your neighbours will be your worst nightmare if they report illegal pruning (10%+) or removal.

RichardN likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Not enough fluffy bits on the flower, leaves are too small IMHO

Linky

I even ruled out Leatherwood with a similar leaf and blossom

[​IMG]

RichardN likes this.
  8. RichardN

Thanks everyone for your responses and appreciate if someone can help with the first 3 questions. Honestly I am also not convinced to kill the tree, feeling bad just worried about the future issues.

In have crushed the leaves and it smells like lime..

9. RichardN

One day it might grow too tall and big and branches will be overhanging on bedroom, we will be worried if it falls on house when there is a storm.. as you know it's hard to get councils to approve tree removal.

10. Scott No Mates

Take a piece to Swaines at dural

RichardN likes this.
  11. Silverghost

Silverghost Well-Known Member

RichardN likes this.
  12. Sujay_Gulwadi

Sujay_Gulwadi Active Member

If the tree is within 3m of your property you should be able to have this removed without much issue. If the tree is between 3 to 10m of the property you may want to contact an arborist and have the entire tree removed using the NSW 10/50 rule. The removal of trees from property usually increases the property value far more than cost of tree removal itself.

RichardN likes this.