GST on sale of PPOR

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by punti, 12th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. punti

punti Active Member

Hi all,

A friend and I are debating GST on property.

He bought a property a couple of years ago as his PPOR. Him and his partner have lived in the property since purchase and have recently just completed a substantial renovation. He is looking to sell after living in the property for 3 months from completion. This is now his 2nd PPOR in 3 years that he has bought, renovated and sold.

He allegedly spoke to the ATO and was told he is not liable for GST or CGT but from what I understand, GST should be payable.

Is he liable for GST?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm no tax expert, but are you suggesting he should be liable because he is making a business of buying, renovating and selling?

I cannot see he would be up for GST if he's lived there a few years and renovated it. I guess if he continues to do this, there comes a time when it is considered a business.

One of the accountants or someone who knows a bit more will jump in soon I hope.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Prob not

4. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

question is whether it is in the course or furtherance of an enterprise. would need more facts.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Could be several reasons why it is not subject to GST and tax incl as a capital gain
    - Enterprise ?
    - How substantial the renovation was should be given tax advice.
    - Was it an actual main residence and did it overlap with any other property ?
    - Timing of the contract to sell ensuring at least 3 months if it is a main residence

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia