Ground Movement

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Timwest, 3rd Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Timwest

Timwest Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Spent the weekend looking at properties in the Ipswich area. Came across a nice brick 3 bedder and am pretty keen to place an offer. Only issue is there seems to be some ground movement. See pics of cracks in bricks and wall leaning away from garage.

The property is 16 years old and this is the damage that has happened in that period. My question is, is this really that much of an issue? What type of things could actually go wrong and what costs could I be up for in repairs if structural integrity is actually compromised.

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be careful in Ipswich with the possibility of not knowing what is underneath the house. The cracking would worry me more in Ipswich than in Brisbane. Can you get hold of a map of underground mineshafts?

Timwest likes this.
  3. Timwest

Timwest Well-Known Member

I have done my research it is completely clear from any mining activity by 5km or so.

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I would expect its from heaving of reactive clay soil. If this is the only concern, see what a B&P turns up but if on clay soil this is common

Sonamic and Timwest like this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

reactive soils move and cause cracks, what I see in the pics looks minor, and if in reactive area, most places will have the same.

Only thing that may have helped is a 12 inch slab etc.

Your B&P should tell if there is anything of real concern.

Stoffo and Timwest like this.
  6. 212

212 Guest

Have you checked that this house is not on a black soil area?. I have seen couple with same issue in Raceview earlier this year. it is common in particular areas of Raceview. The houses I was looking at were around 7-8 years old.

7. Jungle

Jungle Well-Known Member

Hey buddy how did you go? did you ended up buying it? how did you get hold of a map/info of underground mineshafts. Im also looking into ipswich area.

8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Council search of property will show mining overlay. Clay soils in the area do lead to movement. It can depend on what type of slab is used to build.

9. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

The cracking from those photos (they looks less than 1-2mm in width) would be indicative of minor differential movements and not of any significant structural issues - however, it would be worth monitoring.

10. Jungle

Jungle Well-Known Member

Is there a way to check if its black soil? On the council it tells you about minning, noise gass pipe line but havent seen anything about the black soil. Am I missing something?

JZ93 likes this.
  11. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

Can B&P advise on the long term impact of movement?

12. henry_ip

henry_ip Well-Known Member

Does that mean if other area is outside mining overlay, the soil is lessly to be problematic reactive soil?

13. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

Reactive soils are completely separate to mining. Concerns with mining would be deep settlement and/or collapse.

14. henry_ip

henry_ip Well-Known Member

How do we know if the property in Ipswich(Brassall) has high risk of problem caused by reactive soil? Or must rely on an inspector? Or some kind of overlay map can tell?

I wonder how likely it will happen to a house?

If its quite likely, then there's no need even to make an offer and waste time in hiring an inspector..