Great reno show on abc sunday arvo.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by random, 14th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. random

random Well-Known Member

Renovating Australia , at last , a real reno show instead of this block and competition style garbage or home show little bits with everything oh so perfect..
    Real people , real renos and serious stuff too not just a damn deck or room, their money, their gambles and trials , their work, caught it this arvo for the first time , very cool.
    A Tassie couple were doing an old shop twice burnt out , now that's more like it. Mind you l think it's another UK show just doing their Australian version but still , great show and so great to see something real in this country again.
    The owners had been collecting beautiful old heritage style properties around Tassie 25yrs. He paid 20k for his first one an incredible beautiful old building on 13 ac l think it was.
    Can't wait to catch it again.

Sorry if this maybe should be in the lounge , wasn't sure.

2. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Hopefully it comes onto abc iview.. (not there at the moment).

I can’t get enough of grand designs.. New episodes are regularly released on abc iview.. the viniger factory (just released a day or two ago) is an absolute ripper. The owner, who is an architect, was on the tools and had to go to the emergency ward 3x during the reno :eek:

balwoges likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had it recorded and watched that one today (saw it a few years back when it first came out). What an amazing place to live. No renovation is complete without a trip to the ER. :D:p

qak and vbplease like this.
  4. Bon_E

Bon_E Well-Known Member

It's also on Netflix too! Such a great show, the partner and I watch it for #inspo :D

5. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah our grand design version isn't bad seen a few goodens in that. The UK ones good too they do 600yr old barns and all kinds of stuff.
    So nice to see something real coming back in this country, or l've just been missing it not sure which.
    This Tassie guy even ripped his own timber from a big cypres he took down on one of his other properties . Mind you not that l'd wanna do that damn hard work for sure but it was great to see. He said the timber he cut for the building would've costed over 10k to buy . He made his own shingles for it too , 14,000 of them. ln the end they didn't use those his partner got a bit towy so much work on so he put on second hand colourbond instead while the other one was away.
    They got the colourbond for 200bucks it was like new , pretty big building l'd say that would've been 10k to buy too new.
    Love all this stuff.
    Had a lot of friends building mud bricks themselves up in the bush areas yrs ago. Some of the most beautiful homes l've ever seen.

6. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Is the show called Restoration Australia? or Renovation Australia?

7. Bon_E

Bon_E Well-Known Member

Restorations Australia is the one on Netflix (and I believe it's the one the OP was talking about).

vbplease likes this.
  8. vbplease

Now I can find it on ABC IView..

I remember watching 'Keith Hall' in season 1.. I think I was too exhausted just watching it to finish the episode.. I can't believe someone would go to so much trouble to rebuild a stone building..

9. Bon_E

Bon_E Well-Known Member

I know! I'm not going to lie, I get mild anxiety watching it.. probably because it reminds me of my own reno stress (albeit on a much smaller scale!!)

vbplease likes this.
  10. vbplease

I watched the 'Rosenthal' episode in season 2 last night.. I was in awe the whole episode. The history of the place (it housed some famous explorers - Leichhardt), the amount of work re-leveling the floor and re-plumbing the walls, and the craftsmanship in restoring the timber and hardware was amazing.. That guy deserves a medal.

11. random

random Well-Known Member

Haa sorry people yeah l think it is restorations Australia, my bad. Sundays , 2.30pm , just watched it. l forgot again though to take much notice of the exact name because l walked in a few minutes in.
    Today they did some Heritage buildings and house from the gold rush days just out of Dayelsford Vic , ironically l drove down this very road just yesterday on my way back and probably straight past them. Even though the shows a few yrs old l think. Did a 600k drive yesterday so some tv and the fire was just what the doc ordered .
    Here's some nice news , today it was followed by Silvia's kitchen , the gorgeous Italian cook andddd then Anh's brush with fame , l'm now a very content and rested fella.
    But eh , l hear you with the reno anxiety , l've only seen two episodes so far but both stuff of nightmares haha, fore sure .
    Today they were doing not one but 3 old stone buildings one was the main house , they never finished that one during the show understandably, my God talk about work. l mean they sort of saved the buildings but really there's nothing left of the originals except the rock walls really by the time they finish buttt still .
    Be great if they get into some more modern stuff in other episodes , not sure if they do. Not now modern that's pretty nothing but you know, say a bit further along than all just heritage stuff.

Last edited: 21st Jun, 2020
  12. vbplease

I'm hooked on this show now.. The Woodcot Park one was another great episode! Beautiful family who painstakingly restore the plaster & lathe walls of a 1840's house over a year :eek: as they said the saved the house, but the house saved them.

The Gasworks episode was like watching a trainwreck in slow motion though.. I think the owners joy at the end seemed fake.. I'm not sure how the designers could lose the voluminous feel of such a large space.

random likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You guys must've missed it first time around. The series came out around 5 years (or more) ago. Same with the Grand Designs Still both good tho

random and Angel like this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I also watch Grand Designs over and over, and I try to pick what year they were made by the amount of hair (or lack thereof) on Kevin's head. I can usually pick it fairly well. :p

random, Lizzie and Jess Peletier like this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I was all excited to watch the "new season" last week then it became disappointment - same ones we have seen before. It was one thing to watch the UK series, but even better watching the AU restoration series.

At least the recent Escape From The City "new series" have, so far, been episodes I hadn't seen before (made 2018).

random likes this.
  16. vbplease

The Banjo Patterson episode (season 1) was terrible.. 99% of the time they were arguing about where he was born, and whether they’d build a hat monument or not.. 1% devoted to the house restoration :rolleyes:

Bon_E, random and Angel like this.
  17. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah think l glimpsed 2013 somewhere, can't believe l missed it originally. Hope they'll run the full set again.

18. random

random Well-Known Member

New old season . This lady redid 2 old mud walled minors cottages couldn't believe it they looked totally kaput you wouldn't think anyway you'd save these things. And yet the weirdest thing was she did it nearly all herself and made it look easy and they came up really nice.

Charlotte30 likes this.
  19. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I just watched this for the first time recently and was aghast at the ugly goonbag-like structure in the middle-what a disaster! As they say, there's no accounting for taste and everyone's different after all. Interestingly, this place actually sold this year, after the owners decided they'd rather live back in the rural area they were renting in whilst the North Melb build was going on. I'd love to know if they broke even, but I doubt it....

Bon_E likes this.
  20. Bon_E

Bon_E Well-Known Member

Goon bag :D:D:D what a great way to describe it, wasn't it horrific. I couldn't watch that episode.. in my opinion they took everything lovely about that beautiful old building and ruined it! Do you know how much it sold for?

Angel likes this.