Granny Flat Question For Secondary Dwelling

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Sheep112, 24th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sheep112

Sheep112 Well-Known Member

Hi Experts

Quick question.
    My granny flat has been completed in Sydney recently and i have to Occupation Certificate.
    I rang the council and was told all they do now is order the bins and the council rate will be on the one bill along with the front house (just abit higher in cost).
    Is this correct? Dont do update the address with Australia Post or a separate council bill?
    Please let me now what else I need to do....thank you in advanced.
    I am new to the granny flat game...

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

A granny flat doesn't have seperate council rates, so you order a second service on the existing rates, i'm not sure how apportionment goes @Terry_w @Paul@PFI @euro73

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Correct. Typically almost all costs are apportioned other than those specifically identifiable as 100% related to the GF rent eg PM fees, GF construction loan, LL insurance etc. All other costs eg rates, original land etc need be be apportioned based on a reasonable basis (area ?) and time too. For the original property loan interest a valuation may be needed to split the original costs into two elements. Rates maybe area based etc

4. Sheep112

So how do I update the address with Australia post?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Lodge the application via the auspost website. Bung in a mailbox and put a number on it.

What have you done for the following:
    • NBN cabling
    • Water (submeters are on longer acceptable in NSW)
    • Power
    • Gas

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Did you get assigned a new street address from the council?

7. Sheep112

Hi

I have gas and electricity connected separately to the main house. No internet yet but the builder did put a communication cable in the house. Tenant moving in next week so I am not sure how internet will go. NBN is getting installed for the street this month.

so not sure how NBN will go for the granny flat.

when I spoke to the council to ask if they have the occupation certificate, the lady just order the bins. I have a mailbox setup already for 27A but just want the address to be official.

rich

Dian likes this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Once the council had my granny flat registered as a separate occupancy, the NBN was ok to be installed - and that was after it had been installed to the main house.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. Sheep112

Hi Geoffw

Was this done automatically by the Council?
    My tenant has just moved in this week so i wonder how their internet will go.

Did you get assigned a new street address from the council?
    How do i know if they did assigned me a new street address or not? I rang and spoke to them, they said they have received the OC and they will order a new set of bins when I rang.

Any other tips or advice would be appreciated with granny flat....

Rich.

10. geoffw

My apologies, I don't remember the details of how it happened.

It was registered as a separate address from the start, from memory. I remember that the last thing required for an occupancy certificate from the council was a separate letterbox.

11. Sheep112

Called Australia Post to have the address added to their database as 27A...they informed me the Council(NSW) has registered my granny flat address as 1/27 for postal purposes. So I rang the council…to be told this is how a granny address should be.

Anyone out there have similar experience? I already have a mail box set up as 27A, also setup this way with the NMI(electricity meter). A bit annoyed.

Last edited: 13th Mar, 2020
  12. geoffw

That may be council regulations.

Four years ago, I was able to have an address in the form 27A.

13. Sheep112

Hi Geoff
    The interesting part is, 27A doesnt appear on google map but 1/27 does. I guess I will have to inform my tenant they will need to update their address or I can just not update the address with Australia Post?

14. geoffw

I'm sorry, I don't have experience in that part of things. Talk to Australia Post and the tenant I guess.

15. caro_gbt

caro_gbt New Member

Hi everyone, I am building a granny flat in Rockingham and will be renting it separately so I’d like to install a separate mailbox for the granny flat so that tenants can receive mail separately. The builders (Summit) are unsure whether this is possible as they’re unsure if it is actually allowed as the granny flat isn’t a new address.

They have rang the council who said that this can be added however I would need to contact Australia Post to get the letterbox & address added to their mailing system. Australia Post will contact the shire when a new address/letterbox is being registered and the council will advise this isn’t a valid address (as there is already a letterbox for the existing house & granny flats wont have their own address). Apparently in some cases, regardless of the granny flat not being a valid address, Australia Post will still approve the address addition on their system.

Basically it isn’t super clear whether this will be approved or denied.

Does anyone have any experience with this? And what is the best way to do it?

16. Moderntouchdesigns

Moderntouchdesigns New Member

Hi Caro_gbt, what company did you use to build your granny flat? Were you happy with the finished product? Did you build a 1 or 2 bedroom? Thank you in advance.