Granny Flat; Gas/Water/Electricity metering

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by RJS, 1st Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

We are building a home for the first time.

The build consists of a home with attached granny flat(dual occupancy). The granny option plan is to rent out. This is a corner block and the granny would have a separate access on the side. Hence this options seemed good to go for.

I understand as part of the build, the builder does not put in separate metering for the granny.
    I don't get it, :confused::eek:we have clearly mentioned we would be putting it up for rent.

We really want separate metering as we do not want potential issues when we live in the main house or even if we have to rent out both places in future.

I need suggestion on how to go about this and costs?

Appreciate all feedback.

RJS

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

It's a lot easier getting separate wiring and meters now than later after it is all built. The granny flat will need a sub-board and there needs to be an additional meter in the house's box. All pretty simple really. I'd be getting your builder to get a quote from the electrician doing the job (or you get one from the sparky yourself). In NSW the extra meter was only about $500 (this was a few years ago).

RJS likes this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Separate metering is not a problem - we've done it on ours. It's an extra cost which the builder might not like to do. Sorry, there were so many cost items that I can't remember how much. Though another (commercial shopfront) property requires a new electrical board which will cost me about $3k.

Living in the granny flat to start with is potentially a good idea as it can have CGT implications further along. It's worth getting professional advice on that.

RJS likes this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Thanks @geoffw for your reply.

I am getting the feeling the builder does not want to do much about the separate metering.

Thank you for pointing out the CGT aspect which we haven't been aware of, will ask our tax agent.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

If your tax agent doesn't know, see an accountant.

A tax agent is good for tax returns, but may not know all the nuances of tax rules. The rules may have changed since we built, but we were told at the time that as PPOR, if a family member lived in the granny flat first, then it would be regarded as PPOR, as the intention was not to rent out. This would mean that the portion of the block devoted to the granny flat was CGT exempt.

Don't worry about what the builder wants. You're in charge, and you're paying the bills. Get a separate quote from a sparky. (I have had separate metering put in at a later point, it is possible. However separate metering at the start may impact the CGT exemption, as it shows an intention to rent out later).

House likes this.
  6. Scacchi

Scacchi New Member

Hi RJS,

I have just gone through same situation as you.
    First of all, any particular reason of why attached granny flat? Being a corner block, and if land size permit, I would think a detached GF, separate entry with boundary fence to separate main house and GF and separate utilities metering is ideal, in term of privacy.

Anyway back to your questions
    1) for electricity, your builder's sparky will be taking power from main house meter box to granny flat subboard. In essence this is GF main power cable. This should be included in the cost of the build. However the sparky will need to be engaged to fill in application for new NMI with Ausgrid. Once NMI has been issued, Your job than is to contact your electricity provider, telling them you want to install new meter and provide them with the NMI. After that its just waiting for the provider to send out their own contractor to install the new meter.

7. Scacchi

Scacchi New Member

2) for gas
    Normally the plumber will tee into main house piping and install check meter.
    The builder would have allowed for this into the cost.
    For separate meter, you will be paying extra cost. Job include will be running the granny flat gas pipe all the way to front of main house, where the main gas meter is. The plumber will need to tee after the main gas switch, then individual switch and gas line for GF and main house.
    Same as electricity, contact gas provider

3) water
    Same with gas set up

Since you are just starting the build, my advice is for you to discuss with your builder that these separate metering are what you want.

Blueskies likes this.
  8. Shane1

Shane1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t worry about water. Costs are negligable. Build it into your rent.

CowPat likes this.
  9. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

You have a contract with the builder , dose it mention separate meters ?

if not , its an extra

you have plumber/gasfitter and a sparkie onsite
    to organise this for you (at your cost)
    also consider - 2 X hot water services 2 X heaters/coolers

10. Reddy

Reddy Well-Known Member

Has anyone installed a check meter for gas ? Just wanted to find out if it exists as I am also in similar situation ?

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Incorrect.

1. If the house and GF are initially "adjacent" and both used as a element of the main residence eg 18 year old son lives there and this occurs for at least 3 months its likely the main residence starts but will end as soon as the GF is not kept that way. The absence rule cant be used etc. Fairly futile. If its intended for rental then no use as a main residence will reduce the tax impact.
    2. A main resdience can have one or three meters and isnt a indictor of tax position. Making the property available for for rent is the trigger act. Not meters .

A GF creates a seperate CGT asset as such but whether its exempt is a question of fact. Its only exempt for each day its part of the main residence. Most GFs are fenced off. How does that work ? A open gate and free access for nanna will be sufficient.

Split meters are needed to have the tenant liable under resi tenancy act for consumption. GFs are like pools. The seller will quote a budget price and then you need to add, add, add. Even if grandma was the occupant initially I would get split meters and supply sorted for the future