Granny Flat Corner block

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by MAP, 18th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MAP

MAP Active Member

Hi all

I have a corner block that is 11.5m x 40m and so if I want to build a granny flat, it will have to face 40m side as the other side is less than 12m.

My draftsman has said he does not think that is allowed as the primary road for my primary residence is clearly on the 11.5m side and that I can't chose the other side to be my primary for the granny flat.

Does anyone have experience in this, and if so, is what he is saying correct?

I have to go through CDC as DA approval is not option (have already breached 0.5 FSR ratio)

Thanks in advance

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Some councils use the narrowest street facing as the primary. Your town planner or certifying consultant should advise and be able to predict the council views. Then assist and support the CDC. Longer blocks etc can have some setback issues too.

MAP likes this.
  3. MAP

MAP Active Member

Thanks, a certifier I spoke to confirmed that it is primary residence frontage that is used as the granny flat frontage when calculating the minimum, which needs to be at least 12m (at least under CDC) in order to add a granny flat on the lot.

Paul@PAS likes this.