Granny Flat Contract Advice

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by MethodMan81, 26th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MethodMan81

MethodMan81 Active Member

Hi

Building a granny flat in Perth and have a couple questions if anyone can help out.

I have seen quite a bit of reference to SEPP and BASIX for granny flats in NSW, is there an equivalent guidelines for ancillary dwellings in Perth? I have the basic information from the shire.

Who should I approach to check over a contract to build a granny flat before signing it? Wanting to have a clear idea of what I could potentially be having to pay for outside of the contract.

Thanks

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

What info are you looking for exactly?

3. MethodMan81

I guess if there are some certain guidelines that I need to be wary of, one thing that comes to mind is from what I have read in NSW gas to the ancillary dwelling has to be either LPG or solar, but here in Perth we can connect to the mains.

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Not really, the special ancillary dwelling rules are in the Rcodes, and otherwise the usual residential building codes apply. Have you locked down a design or concept?

5. MethodMan81

Haven't gotten anything drafted as of yet but the basic layout will be as per attached.

Attached Files:

6. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I can't open the plan but recently built a GF. I signed a standard HIA contract with the builder, the GF cannot exceed 70 sqm but that excludes a verandah or a storeroom, Westminster knows all about it. I chose not to have inclusions so I just told them that when I went looking, but I have all external painting, tiles to the wet areas, ceiling, cornice and door frame painting internally, is that what you mean? I've read stuff here about people not realising that xyz was not included but I think most big builders include a pretty basic amount of finish and you can always pay for anything additional if you know what you want, before you sign the contract.

7. MethodMan81

I was more worried if there were some building regulation specifics that I needed to be aware of in the contract. The inclusions I should be fine with.