Government says tenants don't have to pay rent if under hardship

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Jess Peletier, 20th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It isnt just you, there have been several sneery comments being made across the forum. On another note, do you think we are so dumb as to need your other info about huge stand downs. We can all turn on the tv and read a newspaper if we cant think this through on our own.

JKB and Perthguy like this.
  2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Wow. Lovely! You really aren’t handling this well are you :)

3. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Please, many here have been investing for decades and have had numerous defaulting tenants who refuse to leave while causing significant damage. Leverage is leverage no matter what the asset class.

Antoni0 and MTR like this.
  4. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Tomorrows auction results will be interesting to see if investors stay in the market , given todays comments re no evictions and renters can effectively stop paying rent should they lose their jobs.

5. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if there were many/any successful auctions tomorrow.

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well the share investors have been high fiving for the last 3 years, but hardly in a position to preach or judge at this point in time considering the carnage

Harris, Perthguy and HUGH72 like this.
  7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I have read from various "unoffical" sources that "pandemics" are not covered in many insurance policies

I haven't checked mine yet

8. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

It is pretty pointless to try and gain points of superiority when all asset classes are going to take a hit, due to an unforeseen event. The pain will be suffered by many. Obviously more so, by those that are highly leveraged.
    Any investment comes with risk. This event is a complete outlier, which wouldn't have been factored into peoples strategies.... hence the uncertainty and pain.
    Time heals everything.
    Just remember some share investors will make good coin from buying at basement prices, holding, and selling when markets surge again. Nothing new, same old , same old.;)

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes my point...

I am more concerned for the small business operators that will be hit hard and got no plan B

I am waiting for cba to hit $30????? Prob wont happen

Last edited: 20th Mar, 2020
    Angel likes this.
  10. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

The issue here is that there will be many tenants will now even use this throw away line as an excuse to stop paying rent. I’ve spoken to a few of my PMs last few days and one comment was “oh they’re really coming out of the woodwork now” in relation to delays in rental payments, blaming the current situation, when in reality they’re still employed and just late. It will be all too easy to say “Scomo said I don’t have to pay my rent, so I’m not going to even try to prioritize that.” Once the threat of eviction is removed, the game changes.

We can forget landlord insurance rent default too - most insurers will only pay loss of rent due to default with a court order. Which court is going to make the order in the event the Government says they can’t? No court order, no insurance.

These are concerning comments from the government, despite there being no policy yet.

Antoni0, Vultures, Bentley and 9 others like this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yesterday I leased a property in brisbane. I redued the rent by $25 a week below most other comparables but in return i wanted a 6 month lease paid lump sum in advnace. Ther 4 tenants agreed.

Win-win

12. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Have you got the Asian tenants? Very common for them to pay in advance sometimes upfront for 12 months

13. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Be honest, because you primarily have your money tied up in real estate, here and abroad, you lean that way. You have previously admitted that you don't have a great understanding of how the sharemarket operates. Don't try and undermine those that do, it is not a good look.

CBA were over $100 not too long ago!

14. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't make any difference if you have some debt and have been living off dividends. Interest rates are low, leverage is cheap. Those living off dividends will be getting a haircut soon and have to stop buying over priced wine.

TAJ likes this.
  15. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

My point was about capital.

I’m banking on some wine bargains this year. Already getting inboxed with some offers.

16. Luckycharm

Luckycharm Well-Known Member

A lot of whinging and hand wringing going on tonight :)

Does anyone have anyways to get around scomo's proposed policy? I have a few houses with tenancy agreement and thinking about the fine print that we can use in our favour.

Ideas anyone?

Antoni0 and kierank like this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

smart

Sackie likes this.
  18. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    I've spoken to my tenants who are Concreters and they have assured me that at this stage they haven't had any impact on their business. Even if my tenants did fall on financial hardship I have a sufficient buffer in place to pay all my loans.

Sackie and Perthguy like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thats old news, the market is changing every day, who knows in 6 months

Lesson here.... its a property forum, take it with a grain of salt and clearly no one is an expert lesson no 2

Sackie likes this.
  20. Luckycharm

Luckycharm Well-Known Member

Anyone with any practical ideas? Surely there's a workaround for property investors if tenants dont pay?