Government buying your ips due to road widening etc

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by TMNT, 12th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Ok im happy to admit i know absolutely nothing about this topic

But

How often does this happen.
    A few years ago they were talking or did decide to plan a highway through a suburb in melb and were buying properties

A few questions.

Can they do this
    What happens if nonna and pa say over my dead body
    Do they pay market rates
    Is it compulsory
    Can this be a investment strategy
    How often does this sort of thing happen

2. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

There was an elderly woman on the news last night in that predicament. I have no idea how much they bought her house for but she definitely didn't want to go.

She was two weeks over the deadline to move out and the govt started charging her 'rent'. I'm sure there was more to the story, but on the surface seemed a bit mean.

3. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

Yes, i think it is compulsory. I think they attempt to pay a fair price but you dont get to decide what that is.

4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Yes it does happen and yes you can be made to move on. Essentially both sides try to come to an agreement but private land can be acquired for public services. It can be for the entire lot or part lot.

At the end of the day the law over rides private ownership and the Government has bigger pockets for legal fees.

Each State varies but if you have the time you may read more here

Last edited: 12th Feb, 2016
    bob shovel likes this.
  5. Dazedmw

Dazedmw Well-Known Member

Yes. Land Acquisition Act 1986 (In Victoria at least, from memory) gives the government the powers to compulsory acquire land.

Unless you can kick up enough of a stink in the media that public opinion makes the government rework their plan you are out luck. It's the government after all.

Yes. In fact usually a little more to compensate for the inconvenience. Usually both sides get valuers (paid for by the government) and a negotiation happens.

The issue becomes the timing. Say the market value is $600k and the compensation is agreed at $620k on Jan 1. The whole process takes another 9 months (governments move slowly) and by that time the market has increases 10% then the owner is out of pocket.

Yes.

I doubt it. Just put your property on the market and get market value.

It happens a bit. Although the government has the power its not often popular so they avoid it if they can. However, in a major infrastructure project it will happen.

bob shovel likes this.
  6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Ah, this thread is reminiscent of one of my favourite movies. The Castle. :D:D:D

Snippets for your enjoyment courtesy of YouTube

bob shovel and Hodge like this.
  7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

It's worth mentioning that when this occurs, the government also includes a number of other concessions to compensate for replacement of the property, such as stamp duty waivers, CGT concessions and I've even seen cases where they'd pay for a solicitor to challenge valuations.

JacM likes this.
  8. JacM

Interesting. Good to know, thanks @Peter_Tersteeg . In that case in some cases a compulsory acquisition might be quite welcome !

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Each state has it's own Act but there is a federal Act as well - the Act applicable depends upon which authority is doing the acquiring.

Acquisition by agreement is preferable ie prior negotiation however statutory powers may be used. If you are affected by a CA, if possible use the hardship provisions of the Act to achieve an outcome within 90 days.

As to the old dear who has to pay rent.....she copped a payout from the RMS (most houses in the area are in the high $1m range), payout also includes an allowance for disturbance, stamp duty etc, the road reservation has been on the title since Noah was a lad, houses in the area were about $50k back in the early 1970's, she doesn't own the house any longer and must pay rent to occupy (you'd be pretty p!$$ed if the vendor stayed in your newly acquired IP rent free too), unfortunately for her like others who have been displaced by the project is that there are few units in the suburb/she doesn't want a unit/loss of amenity/neighbours/familiarity of the area etc.

10. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Had a couple of clients had to turn over property due to the East-West project. I can't say if they were out of pocket or not, but time would definitely play a part in the equation in a rising market.

Even when the project failed, the government still purchased the properties as the owners decided that eventually the project will likely to ahead. The properties are devalued regardless of success of the project.

One guy continued to live in the property for another year rent free even after he had the money in his account.

JacM likes this.
  11. JacM

12. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

I realise she would have received adequate compensation, but when you're that age and you've lived there a long time, it's a massive thing to be told you have to leave.... Not only your house, but also possibly friends, support structures and familiarity. I know it's needed for progress, but I really felt for her.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Agreed that no amount of compensation can offset emotional disturbance but it is the price of progress. I grew up in the area, mum knows several who have been displaced but hard as it is in the property which has been home for 50+ years (people don't move much in this area) - they will get over it but in the meantime it sells papers and advertising time on tv.

Nemo30 likes this.
  14. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

interesting, we actually looked at a 10acre property which had a 400m side boundary on a main road which is about 30 years overdue for widening. The agent gave warning that the gov is able to take back 30m of land on that boundary and said they compensate well for it but thats all he could tell us. It put us right off the place eitherway

15. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Also under compulsory acquisition if your valuation is higher you can sue the government for compensation. Can receive all legal and valuation costs and 10% interest backdated and solatium usually about 1-2%!of the value of the land for hardship.

Sackie likes this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

This caper will occur at/near Badg Creek with the new airport.

The M7 will have an attached motorway running to the new airport and it will cross many rural properties.

Owners in the area have recently been notified that they may be affected.

17. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

I've been through a fairly large one through work. Compulsory resumption, but the offer was nowhere near market value. It was an unusual point of law and it dragged out over 6 years.

Went to court, we won. They appealed, we won that. Finally settled at a reasonable amount. If we didn't fight hard and have the cash to keep it going, would have been a different story.

Have several friends that have had private dealings in a resumption, and believe they were screwed over on value.

18. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

There is a solatium payment of ~$25k, normally to the person reside at the premises ,in this case your tenant. I don't think the owner get's this payment. Your tenant may get a relocation cost reimbursed.

Government compulsory acquired my parents property. It was a acreage property with development potential. We didn't like the price they offered. We took them Land and Environmental court. Start to finished took 3 years. We didn't gain and loss much, just few grey hairs.

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Thabks for your replies everyone
    Especially dazedmw

Veyr helpful.

Are there any ppl who seek out potential affected sites and buy there for increased returns in equity?

Or is it luck of the draw?

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not very often - but often enough if it happens to you.
    I remember it happening in Brisbane, moved some houses away, then a change of government and the houses are back. noggie.jpg