Google Finance issues in spreadsheets

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by number 5, 27th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. number 5

number 5 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Do any of you know why the usual commands through google finance have been playing up recently?

eg. =GoogleFinance("ASX:IJR","price")

It just says that when querying the symbol IJR returns no data. I have heard that it is also not working for some other tickers but them remainder of my holdings are working just fine.

Also, if anyone knows how I can fix this on my google sheet that would be great!

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I have had the same problem with IVV, for about a week.

ASX:GOLD has always been a problem - for Excel as well as Google Finance.

My fix is going to be to convert to Excel. If one product becomes unreliable, I need to use another.

number 5 likes this.
  3. number 5

True but how much of a headache would that be. Plus I travel a lot and sheets is just such an easier option than excel. Hopefully they fix it up soon enough.

Also interesting that IVV not working.. Maybe its an iShares thing, although I have some IOZ which works fine. All my Vanguard products work fine.

Like I said, hopefully all fixed up soon.

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

One possibility is to enter prices for the broken shares manually, at least until it's fixed (if it does). That's assuming you don't want frequent updates to prices during the day - if you did, you'd probably want up to date prices rather that 20 minute delayed prices anyway.

I find Excel using a cloud based spreadsheet to be just as easy to use as a Google sheet.

number 5 likes this.
  5. number 5

Yeah I don't really care for prices. Just pop on and have a look once a month. So manual is fine. Just annoying as it has always worked previously.

6. Colonel Flagg

Colonel Flagg Member

Not my work as I copied this from elsewhere:

Uses the US price for IVV and then converts to AUD. The result is not exact but pretty close.

ie US IVV = $500.15 AUD vs AUS IVV = $498.94 AUD

=IFERROR(GOOGLEFINANCE("ASX:IVV"), GOOGLEFINANCE("NYSEARCA:IVV")*GOOGLEFINANCE("CURRENCY:USDAUD"))

thydzik, number 5 and Archaon like this.
  7. number 5

Thanks a lot!

8. Tom Alaka

Tom Alaka Well-Known Member

I think thats right... other EFTs are working, but the iShares ones arent for me. Pain in the backside...

number 5 likes this.