Food & Dining Good Coffee Anyone??

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 25th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I've gota manual machine and breville grinder - we don't live very high flyer lives but our coffee is non-negotiable.

We went to Mareeba coffeeworks recently - their cosmos beans are gorgeous.

MTR likes this.
  2. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

My beans are either Peak from port mac or something from Glee on the central coast.

Aldi fair trade organic for the plunger at the office.

3. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of Caddies Coffee & Tea. I love their Byron; Rainforest and Supreme Blends. You can purchase whole beans or ask them to grind to suit a coffee machine or plunger. I use a plunger with a good milk frother which I consider tastes nicer and fresher than the pods.

4. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

I use Coles' pods in Aldi machine, no problem. I am not sure about Woolies' I just read on this thread that Woolies have pods and I have not tried them yet.

5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

How does price/quality compare? (its all pocket change compared to a $4 long black)

6. serendip

serendip Well-Known Member

I won't use pods because of the environmental impact. I used to buy coffee at cafes but then worked out how much I was spending each year so now mostly it's either stove top at home or plunger at work, both produce good results, often better than a cafe. Still buy once or twice per week.

vtt likes this.
  7. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

We both prefer Aldi coffee. More variety with flavours, but unfortunately coffee is the only reason we are going to Aldi and there is no Aldi on our closest shopping area and often we can not be bothered to do special trip, so we buy pods from Coles. They are okay as well. I honestly have not compared prices, so can not tell which one is cheaper.

Bran likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What a great coffee experience, we were there last year, a must

MTR:)

Jess Peletier likes this.
  9. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

The jura machines are good. I purchased a j9 and x9 for work. We use fiori beans. I know manual machines are better but I'm too lazy and need my fix asap

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I had a pod machine for about a week. I tried all sorts of pods, I couldn't find a variety of brand that came anywhere near a coffee made from fresh ground beans through an espresso maker.

11. 380

380 Well-Known Member

For Sydney coffee lovers, its aroma festival today. If you are in city, visit rocks!

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I saw a sign today.

"Money doesn't buy happiness. But it buys coffee, which is close".

JDP1, hobo, JenW and 1 other person like this.
  13. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Grind my own, normally Cortado or Cafe Solo. Instant coffee´s not all bad, some are ok for a quick fix.
    Used to get confused when I go back to Australia with all the Australian invented names for coffees in cafes (short black, long black, flat white, etc...). What the hell, where did these names come from ? Funny how Starbucks failed in countries that already had good coffee, including Australia. That stuff is the pits, at least the the ones I've tried.

Travelbug likes this.
  14. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

Moved from instant to pods because pods were a little nicer than instant, then a rude friend who wants to see me go broke introduced me to freshly ground coffee from freshly roasted beans in a great manual machine.

Nowadays if I have pod coffee, it tastes like I'm drinking refined dirt, as opposed to a silky golden handmade coffee.

dan_89 likes this.
  15. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Delonghi magnifica at home. Bought it on eBay - hardly used for $350 a couple of years ago. Easy as, 1 button coffee. Grinds the beans, froths the milk, can't go wrong! Only downside is the milk is generally not hot enough for my liking but nothing a quick buzz in the microwave can't fix. Not a fan of the pods..

16. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

It was the foodie highlight of our trip - even the kids loved it!

17. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

A take on the David Lee Roth quote:

"Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it."

I get my coffees at the 7/11in Fitzroy Street. Two bucks for a large and it's close enough to being as good as a cafe coffee.

18. Gargamel

Gargamel Active Member

Aeropress for me

LibGS likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Been there a number of times, always on the radar when we are out that way. Also a spot of shopping, got some nice little bits and pieces:)

20. Flyingace

Flyingace Member

Same here. The DeLonghi sat in the cupboard for a few months after buying a Nespresso machine but now that has sat unused for some while. Our DeLonghi Magnifica is an older model so we have to froth the milk ourselves but I think I prefer it that way. We use Aldi beans at $11 per kg or so. To think we tried to sell it on Gumtree while the Nespresso was in use and we couldn't even give it away!