QLD Gold Coast suburbs/areas to avoid

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Arecaceae, 13th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Arecaceae

Arecaceae Well-Known Member

When deciding where to reside, one of the most important factors to consider is safety. When comparing crime rates around the Gold Coast, it becomes apparent that regions with a higher population density and a more transient population, such as the tourism and entertainment precincts (areas with many shops, hotels, bars, cafes, restaurants, and nightclubs), have a higher crime rate.

Would you mind sharing which Gold Coast suburbs/areas to avoid?

2. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

I think you’ll find there’s specific parts of specific suburbs which are bad.

I’d suggest posing the question when you’ve narrowed down the suburb you’d like to buy in.

As an example: in Pimpama, the best area is Gainsborough Green estate, which is very premium, however other parts of the suburb are vastly different and aren’t very desirable. Same for Coomera, for Southport; for Carrara, the list goes on. There’s nice and there’s bad across the board.

Arecaceae likes this.
  3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Are you actually considering buying a PPOR on the Gold Coast?
    Or Melbourne, Perth or somewhere else? I'm asking as you've started multiple threads lately so just trying to figure out what you want to know exactly?

Lower crime rate doesn't always equal preferred suburb, you would probably be best to visit the suburbs yourself to get an idea of where you want to live, then narrow it down from there.
    Have you been to the Gold Coast before?

Arecaceae likes this.
  4. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, I would personally avoid living in parts of Nerang, Southport, Coomera, Pimpama, Studio Village and Helensvale

djyella and Arecaceae like this.
  5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

I'd agree with this, there are pockets of most suburbs I would avoid and other parts which I would buy in a heartbeat.
    The question is too broad, the OP needs to provide more info about what they're trying to find out.

Hamish84 and Arecaceae like this.
  6. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

You have broadly three sub-areas on the gold coast with different demographics and lifestyle (not saying one is better than another). There is west of the motorway, Up from Coomera, and the shore from Paradise Point to Coolangatta. You also have different parts within these sub-areas, some being more densely used or populated, that will have consequences on many things, only one being security. I agree with previous posts, until you narrow down to a suburb or two, hard to give real useful information.

Player and Arecaceae like this.
  7. Arecaceae

Arecaceae Well-Known Member

We are not from the Gold Coast and are considering a standalone house in Southport or Labrador for PPOR or investment. We haven't made up our minds about moving to the Gold Coast.

Would appreciate it if you could share the parts of Southport and Labrador to avoid? And which parts are the better areas of the two suburbs?

8. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

Go spend some time there and get a feel for the different parts. It’s the only way.

gman65 likes this.
  9. Sezy22

Sezy22 Active Member

I would not live in either Southport or Labrador. But I would go Labrador over Southport.

Arecaceae likes this.
  10. Name

Name Member

What part(s) of Helensvale would you avoid?

11. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Suburbs are funny things........ Runaway Bay is a short drive or a 5 minute bike ride from Labrador.........petty crime and burglary dont generally respect Suburb Boundaries

ta
    rolf

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This! We were looking for a new PPOR, and flew up every weekend for quite some time. I'm quite comfortable to buy an IP site unseen, but not for a PPOR.