QLD Gold Coast 2022

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Piston_Broke, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Interesting. Is the market starting to turn on the GC? There was a site online, 19 Vespa Surfers Paradise. It was 2 x 600sqm blocks each being offered with a new build modern home priced at $3.9M + each. Yesterday the ad was changed to auction for the empty sites. I'm guessing there was no interest at that price point for the finished product.

GreenTreeFrog likes this.
  2. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I guess its higher risk than normal. More concerned if they break in when we are home then out. We have someone home most of the time and when out I am sure a good alarm and CCTV would help. If they work around that, then they can take what they want. I guess that's what insurance is for.

Ideally renting a place first is the best option and what we will most likely do. I guess we are trying to mitigate this problem by picking a place in a good open water spot. Sure you dont want to be spraying chemicals all over your place too often, but currently I do it annually. Every 6 months I don't think will increase the health risk.

I'm sure people buying 10m homes on the water are buying them so they can enjoy the outdoor space they have paid so much for. Again for a location in which houses are trading in the many millions it sure sounds like a terrible place to live. You really selling it to me. :D

Yann likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Bought in Tweed Heads today, way cheaper than the GC yet only a few more min drive away (now the border is fully open again)

craigc, Nate7gc, QldKoolies and 5 others like this.
  4. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

Congrats! That’s interesting to hear. Did you buy a house, townhouse or apartment?

5. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Congratulations. PPOR or IP?

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

House
    So over strata and BC

Both eventually.
    Mr's Stoffo is going to Uni for the next 5 years (Southern Cross Uni on the GC) studying to be an Oesteopath.
    So its a 6-7 min drive for her now
    I'm staying in Syd for a while, so we will commute back and forth weekly for 6 months, we will review where we want to continue to reside in 5 years, current plan is to return to Syd :rolleyes:

It was all very much a last minute thing, literally had weeks to buy and settle (before High school returns), the Uni accepted her, but she didn't actually make up her mind until NYE, still have child custody relocation issue's to address :oops:
    Two weeks ago we were going to be Lismore, but Mr's Stoffo managed to get a Uni spot transfer to the GC on Tues

So started looking at GC on Tuesday, viewed Thurs and made an offer and accepted Fri morning (previous buyers failed to settle) and we settle in 10 days :confused:

Special mentions to @Mel Morgan and @kierank for their assistance, recommendations and advice ;):cool:

craigc, Nate7gc, kierank and 4 others like this.
  7. GreenTreeFrog

GreenTreeFrog Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

Stoffo likes this.
  8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Congratulations. We looked at quite a few at Tweed, before buying in Burleigh Waters.

Stoffo and kierank like this.
  9. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Congrats!!

Stoffo and Hamish84 like this.
  10. QldKoolies

QldKoolies Well-Known Member

I personally love Sanctuary Cove. Hope Island in general is great. It’s a community with canals, buggy trails, cafe’s and plenty of restaurants around, multiple golf courses (and clubs! gyms/bars/bistros). You’ll be back and forth from bars and restaurants on a buggy, leave the car at home - not that I condone it but let’s just say drinking and driving on buggies is not exactly policed and they have their own trails so not on the road. It’s gated (security! And reduced traffic for the families on bikes etc). It’s close to Bris and close to the coast. Close the the world parks and top golf for family (get an annual pass if you're a family). Close to very well regarded schools such as Coomera Anglican College. People also live there! I’ve spent a lot of time at other places such as sovereign island (family lived there for a few years) and it’s a ghost town, no soul. 30% of the homes are holiday homes or empty.

Also helps that’s Hope Island including sanctuary cove are FIRB exempt which I think helps to keep the demand up.

Check out hope island golf club on events like Australia Day, there’s bands, food trucks, the place is buzzing.

You’ll find other places like sovereign are 1 mil cheaper for the same home in the 4-7 mil range, but in my view it’s worth every $.

craigc and Big A like this.
  11. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Mate, the border checkpoints were removed last night :p

Stoffo likes this.
  12. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

kierank likes this.
  13. Momentum

@Big A I lived in Paradise Waters (Buccaneer Crt) for a few years and the water is also quite stagnant at the end of the canals here. Obviously the best street here is Commodore Drive on the main river and being north facing. The main issue living there was lack of nearby restaurants, shops and bars. Main Beach would be the closest spot but it's not really happening there much these days. Isle of Capri is a great spot, same as some parts of Benowa and Sorrento. Your budget is generous and would get you something beachfront further south. A friend recently sold his fibro shack on 429m2 in Jefferson Lane for just under 5m. Also check out Elanora and Currumbin if you like the southern end. I prefer it down this way

Player and Big A like this.
  14. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

@Momentum , thank you for the feedback. Good to get feedback from someone who has lived in the locations.

I am quickly getting my head around what we want. Isle of capri looks to be the spot. Broadbeach waters and Sorrento on the main river and closer to amenities will also work.

Canal ends are definitely out of the question. Would only consider ever so slightly off main water and wider spots. Considering what I just said, will I find the whole mosquitos / midges thing a problem? In your opinion of course.

15. Tim34

Tim34 Active Member

Hey mate,
    I have been on the GC from Melbourne for the last ten years. I spent the first 7 years moving everywhere from Isle of Capri down to Palm Beach renting on the canals before purchasing in Mermaid Waters.
    I found out that I’m allergic to midgies, I played at Palm Beach Currumbin Footy Club which is on a main river and had to wears skins whilst training so that I didn’t end up with welts on my legs.

Having said that, a spray of aero guard stops all of the bites. My mates don’t get bitten out the back of our place before I do and you offer the kids a spray if entertaining - super easy!

As for flooding, not one of our places have flooded on a canal. The canals run pretty well in the areas you’re looking, even the small ones in Broadbeach and most blocks are 1-2+ m above high tide.
    New builds need to be 500mm above the high flood level, although most blocks are in the flood zone by GCCC a closer look when buying may find that you might only have to raise a build 200 or 300mm, the GCCC flood layers are EXTREMELY generalised.

That nice house on Gibraltar is two doors down from one of the biggest party houses on the GC. So if you’re wanting a quiet house that doesn’t have a boat pulling up with 50-100 people I would avoid it.

I settled on mermaid waters on a canal walking distance to Nobbys restaurants and to the beach. It’s also closer to the more desirable southern suburbs. If you want open waters, NE facing block on intrepid drive would be a great place to build. If you are wanting a boat that is higher than 2.8m when in the water then you can’t have a residential bridge between you and the main river.

Best of luck with the purchase/search!

Big A likes this.
  16. Stanlite1988

Stanlite1988 Member

PPOR - offer received and accepted today. Very happy on our part should be unconditional in 21days just B&P and Finance.

Hamish84 likes this.
  17. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

@Tim34 thank you for your insights. This is very helpful.

Planning on getting up there possibly as soon as next weekend for some exploration. I have no issue with heading down past isle of capri to broadbeach waters or even mermaid waters as long as it’s a place where the water is not too narrow and flows nicely. Being walking distance to amenities is the other key thing. Really don’t want to have to drive everywhere.

The bridges I don’t see being an issue. Can’t see myself getting a big boat for that to be a concern. Some Jet ski’s and a nice little Leisure boat will be more than enough. I get motion sickness at the best of time.

GreenTreeFrog likes this.
  18. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

Congrats! Great news. Did the offer exceed your expectations? Ie how is the market there on the ground? I’ve got an IP up the road in Gainsborough/Pimpama that I’m getting re-valued soon, very keen to hear local feedback.

19. Momentum

I don't think you'll have a problem, certainly not so bad that you wouldn't notice it when you inspect the property. I never had problems with midges or mosquito's living at PW but I wasn't at the end of the canal. I've also lived on the Broadwater and remember some midges would be out in the evenings but not too bad. I now live on a waterfront property on a tidal lake fed from Currumbin creek and never have problems here either. Another exclusive area you might want to check out is Monaco Street in Broadbeach Waters, particularly the houses on main river opposite Albert Park. There are some huge lots there. The main REA here dealing with the top end is Kollosche. It would be worth contacting them before you come up to get some options and show you what's available

Big A likes this.
  20. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Cheers @Momentum . Spoke to a few agents already and will reach out again before I head up.
    I am hearing Monaco st Broadbeach waters is a good place to be. Though is it a little far from everything? I’m thinking if your going Broadbeach waters / mermaid waters would you not want to be more in the eastern side, being closer to pacific fair / beach e.t.c . Is there much happening on the western edge of these locations? I want to be within reasonable walking distance to food / entertainment.