Business Technology Gmail / G Suite service issues

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Simon Hampel, 3rd Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Anyone out there relying on Gmail or G Suite for emails should be aware that there are currently widespread service issues affecting emails and other services.

G Suite Status Dashboard

"We continue to experience high levels of network congestion in the eastern USA, affecting multiple services in Google Cloud, G Suite and YouTube. Users may see slow performance or intermittent errors. Our engineering teams have completed the first phase of their mitigation work and are currently implementing the second phase, after which we expect to return to normal service."​

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

we are fine :)

3. Simon Hampel

There were reports of people not being able to turn on their WiFi controlled lights because their Google Home's weren't working :rolleyes: #fwp

Everything seems to be back to normal now.

4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Automatic igniting candles: Fail!

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Forget Gmail, G Suite and YouTube.

SnapChat was also broken!

The Millennial spirit has been broken.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Same as the ATO. The Commodore 64 needs a new power lead and floppy disk drive and NOTHING is working

craigc and qak like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They had an upgrade since the Vic 20?

8. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Ah... Now I get it. Every morning kids ask the Google Home about the weather. It didn't respond yesterday.
    Don't be sarcastic. It is helpful. Knowing what the max would help us to decide what kind of jumpers they need to wear... if they can find it.
    And yes, it worked fine today.

9. Simon Hampel

We have three Google Home Mini's (they were freebies from Woolies!):

The one in my office gets used to turn on the overhead LIFX WiFi lights because there are two doors to the "sunroom" - one from our bedroom and one from the lounge, and the lightswitch is on the bedroom door frame, which is currently behind some bookshelves (and we have a cupboard in front of the door in the bedroom too). I also use it to set reminders and look up information while I'm working.

The one in the kitchen gets used primarily as a countdown timer and to do unit conversions while cooking. I also use it to add items to the shopping list.

The one in the dining room gets used primarily by the kids to play trivia games, answer questions about topics which come up at the dinner table, play songs (again, usually in response to a question), tell my son the overnight soccer scores from the various European/UK leagues, but most importantly - exactly like you described @devank - to tell the kids the weather so they know what to wear when getting ready for school.

It's funny that when my son asks Google about the weather, it responds in an American voice with units in Fahrenheit, but then when I ask it - it responds in an Australian voice with units in Celcius. Because he isn't old enough yet have his own phone, he can't train Google Home to recognise his voice and the configure the settings - and for some reason it thinks he is American (or perhaps it's the way he asks?).

10. devank

devank Well-Known Member

May be the default is American?

11. Simon Hampel

One assumes so - but the device is set to all the Australian settings and it only happens for my son - not for anyone else who isn't recognised by the device.

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Reading that out loud, it could be taken two ways.